Would 3G iPhones enable Verizon people to use these?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shanshor, Mar 4, 2008.

1. shanshor macrumors regular

just a question because i know the voyager (which i have) uses 3g... i think

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

No!!

Verizon is CDMA and their 3G is EV-DO.

The iPhone is GSM, and at&t's 3G is UTMS (HDSPA/HUSPA).

While the encoding scheme for UTMS is CDMA, it is still a GSM system, and therefore incompatible.

TEG

3. shanshor thread starter macrumors regular

awww. i have an ipod touch, such a let down

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The main issue though, is Apple's exclusive contract with AT&T.

5. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

I have a BFA and I do not know what any of those acronyms mean!

6. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I think this should be a sticky on top of the iPhone forum:

Why there will never be a Verizon iPhone

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Or Sprint, or any other CDMA carrier.

CDMA - Code Division for Multiple Access
    GSM - Global Standard for Mobility

CDMA service is tied to the phone, GSM is tied to a SIM card. GSM (and its 3G versions) are used everywhere in the world. CDMA is used mostly in the US, Canada, and some older international networks.

TEG

8. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

why would that be a main issue, considering the fact that people have hacked the s**t out of them any ways to allow other carriers

9. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Basically you won't see verizon getting the iPhone until either apple buckles and releases a new edition of the iPhone.

Or until Verizon decides to join the rest of the world and switch to gsm.

10. aneftp macrumors 68040

Verizon will eventually join the rest of the world with LTE but we will not see that until 2010/2011 at the earliest.

We'll see how "great" their coverage is when they do not have native GSM coverage to fall back on. "Think the original ATT wireless's coverage way back in late 2000/early 2001 with the launch of their GSM network without backwards compatibility to TDMA; only a few phones had backwards TDMA/GSM). Verizon's coverage will suck big time because all their phones will only be LTE compatible cause they will not want to pay Qualcomm's CDMA royalty in order to have a dual CDMA/LTE phone.

11. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I highly, highly doubt Verizon will start selling LTE-only phones until their LTE network has expanded to cover the same areas as their CDMA network. They'd lose millions of subscribers.

I am looking forward to LTE eventually though, since then Verizon and AT&T will be using the same wireless technology. Competing standards just make things unnecessarily complicated.

In my dreams, I also imagine a less subsidy/contract/nickel-and-dime-driven mobile marketplace, where compatible, open networks compete for business by driving the costs of data access downwards (since all traffic is data, really) and removing complicated "minutes/texts/data" plans from the picture... But those are just dreams. ;)