Would 4K video on Netflix work on iMac 5K

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ansabakhan, Oct 16, 2014.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

When you have a smart 4K TV, Netflix know you are using a 4K display and play 4K content at UHD resolution. Would that happen with 5K iMac too?

2. orestes1984, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

orestes1984 macrumors 65816

It really doesn't matter the screen is not big enough to notice it from any real sitting distance. You can see barely more than 2K on a 32" TV screen from a normal viewing distance in a living room.

3. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

I don't think the OP plans to sit far away from it. If I'm sitting at my desk there would be a definite difference.

In reply to the OP, I think the web browser and Netflix's website would have to support it.

4. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

It makes a huge difference for me. The difference between 1080p and 4k to me is like the difference between night and day.

5. Sonmi451 Suspended

4K is also higher bitrate, so you will notice a difference even on a 27" screen if you sit 3-4 feet away or so. I'm pretty sure Netflix won't enable it though, so you're most likely out of luck.

6. Akash.B macrumors regular

Pretty sure browser based Netflix doesn't have 4K streaming. I got a Samsung 4K panel and was disappointed to learn that. At the moment, Netflix will only stream to a select number of TVs and set top boxes in 4K

7. bwsteg macrumors 6502

Correct. I have built in Netflix app with 4k content on my brand new Sony XBR 4K tv. I must say that the difference between 1080 and 4k on my 65" tv is dramatic but I don't believe there would be any noticeable difference on such a small panel like a 27".

8. forg0t macrumors member

There's a huge difference on the retina imac. I assume you don't have the retina, or if you do you haven't tried to watch something in 1080p yet. To get to full screen each 1 pixel is expanded to taking 8 pixels worth of space. And you're not sitting more than a few feet away from this display. Unfortunately 1080p movies look pretty bad on the RiMac.

I think 4k content is available on Netflix through the Internet though. I think I tried house of cards and it looked like it was, I'll have to double check when I have free time.