Would a 13''/16/256 nTB Be Enough for Me?

Efemera1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Would a 13''/16/256 nTB 2018 model be enough for me?

The screen of my 2015 13''/16/250GB with 2.7 GHz i5 machine started failing a few days ago thanks to stupidity on my part related to my habits suddenly changing after I broke my leg. In short the old mild scratches were worsened to the point where I'm down to maybe 2/3 of my screen real estate. I also ran a hardware test before upgrading to Mojave and got a battery replacement notice, though thankfully the battery time is still more than fine for my needs right now. However the two together represents at least $1,300 in repairs quoted and for a machine approaching its 4th birthday that means I should replace it now. The lost screen real estate is making it a real pain for some things tied to work as well as fun activities (watching videos etc.) so again, I think I should replace rather than tough it out for another year to see what happens in 2019.

Since I'm replacing I wanted to make sure I get a machine that feels the same or better in performance. Because of work and play I have many many tabs open on Safari and FF, 40 at least. Those are my main RAM hogs; thanks to Activity Monitor I know that I'm typically using 12-14GB RAM, so 16GB on the new MBP is a minimum for me, unless something has changed drastically since the early 2015 MBPs. Should I stick with 16GB then?

How do I use my current MBP? Apart from the above described browser use (though which browsers I use depends on how they work on the sites I access regularly), I use Slack for work, iTunes for podcast listening, Kindle for reading, watch via livestream most weeks international sporting competitions via my browsers, and occasionally use iMovie and Photos for travel and sporting events photos and videos. I may upgrade to a more advanced photo and video software because of my growing interest in figure skating, but I only get to events myself maybe 3-4 times a year. Many of my photos/video clips are stored on iCloud and Dropbox Pro. In the coming year I may also be dealing with large databases, as well as using MS Word/Scrivener for writing. With all that in mind, does it look like my choice is sensible, or should I be considering another MBP option? I did look at the 15'' because it actually allows you to add more than 16GB of RAM, but the price is far more than I'd like to spend.

PalidinoDH

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2014
the nTB was not updated this year, its still on the gen2 keyboard. Having used a 2016 nTB pro for a year and a half now, that I plan on replacing within the next month, I would not invest in anything with a gen2 keyboard. Either get the 2018 air or the 2018 tb 13" pro.

maxgts

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
Sunnyvale, CA
Who quoted you a dollar amount to change the screen? Apple? Because you're eligible for a free screen replacement if the anti-reflective coating is failing or shows scratches caused by the keyboard making contact with it. I would definitely do whatever it takes to keep that 2015 running. The 2016 MBP has the awful 1st gen butterfly keyboard which is prone to failure. I'm sure you're aware of this.

Last edited:

Efemera1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
the nTB was not updated this year, its still on the gen2 keyboard. Having used a 2016 nTB pro for a year and a half now, that I plan on replacing within the next month, I would not invest in anything with a gen2 keyboard. Either get the 2018 air or the 2018 tb 13" pro.
Ok, I didn't know the keyboard wasn't updated on the non-TouchBar model! If that's the case, then yes I'd prefer the Touch Bar model. Or maybe the Air, though I'm not sure if that would feel like a downgrade after having the 2015 MBP.

Efemera1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Who quoted you a dollar amount to change the screen? Apple? Because you're eligible for a free screen replacement if the anti-reflective coating is failing or show scratches caused by the keyboard making contact with it. I would definitely do whatever it takes to keep that 2015 running. The 2016 MBP has the awful 1st gen butterfly keyboard which is prone to failure. I'm sure you're aware of this.
No an authorized Apple repair shop in my neighborhood quoted me the prices. In Canadian currency, I should add.

Unfortunately I don't recall how the original scratches were caused. They've been around for at least a couple years and weren't bothersome even with daily use. But after I broke my leg I started piling things next to me so I din't have to make numerous trips on crutches, and stupidly left my earbuds in when I shut the computer, rather than making sure they were not trapped between the screen and the keyboard. I didn't really slam it shut, but maybe that caused it or perhaps leaving it on the couch with a light pillow or two on top (pillows there to elevate the leg) added to pressure and caused the damage. So I can't see Apple covering this, when I should have unplugged the earbuds and made sure they were not left inside touching the screen (something normally I would do). Lesson learned.

I think I wasn't clear, but I was only looking at 2018 machines, since I heard about the performance bump being more substantial than if I chose a 2017 model, plus potentially a better keyboard.

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
16GB sounds like overkill. I'm not saying don't do it, but your needs sounds pretty simple. macOS will of course say "thanks" and use the memory of it's available, but the fact that you're using 12GB doesn't mean that 8GB wouldn't work.

The nTB sounds like it would be more than capable. It's a 2017 machine though, not a 2018. Different keyboard. Also has reduced wifi vs the rest of the flock.

Reactions: raqball

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2015
No an authorized Apple repair shop in my neighborhood quoted me the prices. In Canadian currency, I should add.

Unfortunately I don't recall how the original scratches were caused. They've been around for at least a couple years and weren't bothersome even with daily use. But after I broke my leg I started piling things next to me so I din't have to make numerous trips on crutches, and stupidly left my earbuds in when I shut the computer, rather than making sure they were not trapped between the screen and the keyboard. I didn't really slam it shut, but maybe that caused it or perhaps leaving it on the couch with a light pillow or two on top (pillows there to elevate the leg) added to pressure and caused the damage. So I can't see Apple covering this, when I should have unplugged the earbuds and made sure they were not left inside touching the screen (something normally I would do). Lesson learned.

I think I wasn't clear, but I was only looking at 2018 machines, since I heard about the performance bump being more substantial than if I chose a 2017 model, plus potentially a better keyboard.
Take it in for a repair man. I Cracked the screen of my 2015 15" MBP and just sent it in for the coating issue, they replaced my entire screen free of also replaced my batter, keyboard and bottom case free of charge as well, and as a bonus they gave me a 90 day warranty. Apple seems to be taking stain gate fairly serious. I suggest you try and get your current one fixed and wait for an updated MacBook line-up as the current MBA is trash its nothing more than an upscaled M5 with a newly branded name the old 2015 mba out performs it in most areas.

Efemera1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Take it in for a repair man. I Cracked the screen of my 2015 15" MBP and just sent it in for the coating issue, they replaced my entire screen free of also replaced my batter, keyboard and bottom case free of charge as well, and as a bonus they gave me a 90 day warranty. Apple seems to be taking stain gate fairly serious. I suggest you try and get your current one fixed and wait for an updated MacBook line-up as the current MBA is trash its nothing more than an upscaled M5 with a newly branded name the old 2015 mba out performs it in most areas.
Wow! Sounds like you were very very lucky for them to replace so many things not tied to your initial problem! Looking upthread how you are treated seems pretty individualized, so no idea if they would be that generous.

I just looked at my laptop screen with the brightness down to zero and it doesn't really look like I have the staining except maybe around where the cracks are. See the photos I attached. They look different than the photos that appear tied to Staingate, so I am not sure if they'd laugh in my face, since the clouding is clearly tied to the scratches/cracks and not long-term pressure of keys etc.

Yes, after looking at reviews, I still prefer the MBP to the MBA but most especially the TB model, since that has the performance bump that would hopefully last and the newest gen of KB.

Attachments