Would a 13 inch MacBook Pro basic model fit my needs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by De5, Nov 23, 2012.

1. De5 macrumors member

Hi all,

I am currently going to a College and I am wondering would a 13 inch macbook pro basic fit my needs. I do make techno-songs/dubstep and like to make/edit videos. I currently have a lenovo 15" i3 2gb of ram 250gb HDD. I want a laptop that would be portable, last for at least 5 years, and something upgradable and fast. If I get a basic macbook pro, I can upgrade to 8gb of ram? I also am looking to get Logic pro 9 and use imovie, both alot. If I have alot of tracks playing on logic pro 9 and 1080p movies on iMovie, will it lag/be slow with the basic macbook pro? At my local futureshop, instead of just black friday there is black weekend. So I have 2 days to think what macbook to get. My budget is around $1400. I also need a decent battery life, ~2-3 hours. Any suggestions/help is much appreciated.

Thank you to whoever read this.

2. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I would say so. It's a great value. Earlier today on Amazon they were going for $962, that's with free tax and shipping. Now they are going for $1035 which is still cheaper than $1199 list, and with that extra money you could bump the RAM and swap the HDD for an SSD.

If you buy a 2011 or 2012 model they will hold up to 16GB RAM. For your uses I would get 16GB ($40-$50). That plus an SSD would make it a great machine.

EDIT: Also, it's going for $949 at Fry's, and I have read that Amazon will price match it for you if you call in.

http://www.frys.com/product/7091541?site=sa:adpages page:P7_FRI date:112312

and

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0074703CM/ref=nosim/linkcode-20

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

From your lenovo, it might be a bigger update.
    And for your needs, 13in can handle them.
    I do duggest the 15in due to the extra screen, better CPU/GPU, etc
    But if you are limited on cash, go with the black friday deal.

4. De5 thread starter macrumors member

I went out and got a 13 inch basic Macbook pro, and ordered 8gb of ram and a solid state hard drive. But there are 2 problems that I have right out of the box, the trackpad is uneven, the left side is above the case and the right side is dipped in. And the hinge is sticking out about 1mm on the left side, moves left and right, and makes scratching sounds when I open it. Should I return it?

5. bigboar macrumors 6502

I would...immediately!!!!

6. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Definitely return it. If I were you I'd open the new one in-store just to be sure it had no issues either.