Would a 17" macbook Pro get blu-ray first?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mtfield, Oct 15, 2008.

1. mtfield macrumors 6502

I'm not quite sure how the updates work so would there be a chance that the updated 17" would get blu-ray before the 15"? I think it'd make sense given it's the only laptop that has the resolution to support it..

2. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Remember that even though most Blu Rays are 1920x1080, it's not like a lower resolution screen isn't still going to look MUCH better with a Blu Ray than a DVD...I mean they're still much higher resolution than DVD!

But...I doubt it. Apple's just been dragging their feet, and it's getting ridiculous. Anything new I buy HAS to have Blu Ray, period. ESPECIALLY a laptop where it's going to get used to play movies/shows quite a bit.

3. Minder Thr33 macrumors newbie

They said the reason was a license issue. Why would they license only the 17" model? Wouldn't the license cost be for the entire company?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I believe licensing is on a per unit basis.

5. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Which is irrelevant-you just charge whatever it costs-build that into the price of adding the unit, like everyone else does.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Considering the price of the current laptop and it's competitors. Would you be happy to pay an additional $30~300 for licensing,
    on top of the Blu-Ray drive itself, just so you can play Blu-Ray on your Apple machine?

7. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

The TOTAL cost would be $200 or less, not "$30-300 on top of the price of the drive".

And yes, of course I'm willing to pay what it costs. I would never buy a system without Blu Ray now any more than I'd buy one without DVD.