Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Basically that is the question.

Would people go for a 30" iMac? Could apple price a machine under 3K? Say $2799 or $2899. I know people love big screens, and in this media age, bigger is always (usually) seen as better when watching movies or working with media.

Again, I think it's unlikely and it won't happen. Just wanted to open the floor for discussion.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I think they could, but the price would be a limiting factor. The real reason for the larger screens it to allow more pixels to be seen and allowing for multiple documents to be more easily used. I do agree that unless they also add a Blu-Ray Disc Player, it would be pointless on an iMac, because DVD doesn't look all that good on a higher resolution screen.

TEG

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
sounds possible

I imagine its possible there would be a demand for an all in one large screen option. However 3K for a consumer market product seems pretty steep to me and at this price point a Mac Pro makes much more sense.

And if they can't fix the problems on the 24", heaven only knows what will go wrong with a 30".

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

It would be nice if they could do it and keep the price under $2500. Anything more than that wouldn't make sense because you could get a Mac Pro for around the same price. The Mac Pro would come with a screen of course but the trade off for a non-Apple screen would be worth the performance boost.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
They should do this:
20---->24" transition as standard
24----->30" transition as standard
Add Blu-ray support and now we are talking about an update.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I think it's doable. The cost is an issue though and at the prices that a 30" iMac would hit, most would expect a discrete display.

Also, it's got to be eye-level-viewable and the 'bezel' that the iMac adds to the bottom of the machine would be a little high for a 30" - so they've really got to build the entire computer behind the screen. It's not impossible.

However I don't think it's going to happen until 30-inch panels get cheaper.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
They should do this:
20---->24" transition as standard
24----->30" transition as standard
Add Blu-ray support and now we are talking about an update.

I think it's doable ... However I don't think it's going to happen until 30-inch panels get cheaper.

I would think the height of a 30" iMac would make it a little prohibitive, but it's feasible. I think apple should go for a 23" and 30" in the next "size upgrade," because then they can put in Cinema Display panels that were at or close to passing QA, but not quite good enough. Not crappy ones, but decent ones. The 30" might have a full 30" ACD in it. This way would save Apple money, increase screen quality, and make everyone happier!

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2004
If nothing else, at least an iMac with an HD screen, a 24" HD version would be OK.

If they made a 30, it would have to be HD, like the cinema displays, but I would also want it not to have the chasis under the flat panel, I'd like it to look just like the current 30 with a superdrive on the side.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Is LG offering a 30" glossy display? If not, that could be a problem because it would mean the iMacs don't look the same (and yes, I know many here would much prefer the iMac had a matte display).

Also, a 30" would add around $1000 to the price of a current 24" iMac. So you'd be looking at $2799 and $3199.

And while I am not going to make a blanket statement, I will say that I would imagine the plurality (if not the majority) of users of 30" displays buy them because they run "professional" applications that they likely earn an income from and as such, may find a Mac Pro to be a better long-term investment.

ishopukisfake

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
Basically that is the question.

Would people go for a 30" iMac? Could apple price a machine under 3K? Say $2799 or $2899. I know people love big screens, and in this media age, bigger is always (usually) seen as better when watching movies or working with media.

Again, I think it's unlikely and it won't happen. Just wanted to open the floor for discussion.

This would be great, but would be far too expensive to make I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.