Would a better graphics card help ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yoe91, Jul 5, 2016.

1. yoe91 macrumors member

Hi guys, mid-2010 MPB 13' user here. I make a lot of iMovie videos, and it's very obvious the system has a really really hard time coping with the HD material on display. It's not even super heavy 1080p stuff, it's just basic HD, some times not even but still iMovie is very slow as I scan over the videos with the cursor, and playback has a bunch of discrepancy to it. It won't even play transitions smoothly, and slows way down whenever text appears.
    The worst thing is as I finalize and release the video, as I play the file it's got those grey flashes that cover a lot of the footage on the screen, you know, that silver/white stuff whenever a device can't keep up with the animation. So I have to go back and re-release the video, make sure I close every app and not use the MBP at all for that time.
    It also heats up like heck, and I keep telling it it's alright no need to get that excited but it won't listen - but I just ordered one of those cooler-mat things, will see if it really helps.

I recently upgraded to 16GB RAM, so that's max. I currently have the native NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB graphics card. Would upgrading that help substantially you think ?
    Thank you !!

2. vatter69 macrumors 6502a

vatter69

Maybe im missing something but how would you upgrade the internal gfx card?

3. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

You can't upgrade the dGPU.

Does the machine have an SSD or an old mechanical hard drive? If it's an old crappy HDD then a SSD could breath new life into your machine. However, I don't know if 2010 models had user-upgradeable drives or not so you'll need to check.

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Especially considering it doesn't have a dGPU. ;)

---------
    But no, the graphics can't be upgraded on that machine. You're stuck with what you have.
    But an SSD upgrade will be worth it as recommended.

5. killaz05 macrumors member

killaz05

The Nvidia 320m is a dedicated graphics processor, so yes it has a dGPU back then but it shares the system memory for it's video memory. In the end though, it is not user upgradable.

I would make sure your Mac is up to date and I would highly recommend switching the HDD for an SSD. You will wonder why you never made the switch before. A movie really isn't that taxing on a GPU, so what is most likely giving you issues is the speed of the HDD.

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Those two statements are incompatible. Dedicated GPU means not sharing memory; integrated GPU means sharing memory. Please see this thread from post #10 onwards where the same discussion was had:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/amd-polaris-in-13-inch-rmbp.1968575/#post-22836541

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

JTToft is correct that was an integrated GPU and only kept in the 2010 because the core i processors graphics were so poor.

However OP us your issue is poor graphics and old CPU as well, not to mention using iMovie not the best video editing software out there. The only way to increase your performance for editing videos is to buy something else.

8. yoe91 thread starter macrumors member

oh. Thought for sure you could change a graphics card on a MBP just like any other machine. So that's a no-no then, alright thanks.
    Steve I upgraded my local HD some years ago to a SATA WD-brand 500GB. Is that bad ?

9. ABC5S macrumors 68040

SSD's are good. 2010 notebook is holding you back since its 5/6 years old now. Time to get another

10. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

I first started working with HD video on a PowerMac G4 so it is possible to do so on your machine. the solution is to match the parameters of the situation to the abilities of your machine and software. the format/codec of your source material, the settings of your project/timeline and the construct of your media storage all come into play.

I haven't touched iMovie in a long time so I can't speak to what is possible/reasonable with the current version of that software. I am going to assume you are working with camera native H.264 files, and that is likely your biggest issue. One possible solution, convert those files to Apple ProRes and they will play back smoother, provided your storage can now keep up.

11. robvas macrumors 68020

Very, very few laptops allow you to change the video card.

12. yoe91 thread starter macrumors member

yyyyyep...probably will have to soon.

Ooh, that sounds promising. Will look into that and get back to you. Thanks a lot !

didn't know that. Thought it was like desktops.

13. yoe91 thread starter macrumors member

Well to answer you more specifically, no I use a bunch of mp4 files, small 4-10 clips, to make a compilation. About 8min, so it's heavy.

14. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

okay. MP4 does use the H.264 compression so yeah, that will present a hard load.