Would a IM client made with the SDK work like a sidekick or...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stateofmind, Mar 5, 2008.

1. stateofmind macrumors regular

more like beejive except just on the homescreen? Meaning is it fully possible for it to stream,or notify you in some way that a new im has come in even if your on the ipod screen or on safari?

I know nobody has a clear answer, but is the programs coming from the SDK going to seem like they just...belong and are seamless with everything else.

2. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

since Apollo does this, I'd say that yes, it is fully possible.

3. stateofmind thread starter macrumors regular

also, will it work better on Edge? Jivetalk on the bus in the middle of Manhattan shouldnt be as slow as it is.

4. mingisback macrumors regular

I take it you haven't jailbroken your iPhone before. Jivetalk is nice for being a web app... but it's a complete piece of trash in compairson to ApolloIM (native iPhone app).

In my experience.. ApolloIM works just as well over Edge as Wifi.

According to the ApolloIM site they have focused their attention on going legit.

"This project is no longer the main project of the original developers, we are changing our focus to new software for the official SDK release."

5. stateofmind thread starter macrumors regular

I had my phone jailbroken until 1.1.3 and Apollo IM would crash my phone if I left it on for like 10 mins, so I never got to play around with it.

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I hope they will [if they are aloud to] keep it free still!

7. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

if the sidekick was able to do it so many years ago, I don't see why the iPhone couldn't now... that would be a huge blow to the Apple brand name.

8. AMoeini macrumors member

AMoeini

9. stateofmind thread starter macrumors regular

If the "one program can be open at a time" is true, that would be awful

10. kane4fire macrumors member

one program open at a time and if you get a phone call it will disconnect you. Way to go apple...that makes the web apps and a IM native app almost one in the same. :rolleyes:

11. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

At least we know we can have more than one thing open with jailbreak so hopefully Apple will let us.

12. stateofmind thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

wow, if so they have dropped the ball big time