Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I have my 2010 MBP running ALLOT, which is fine because it handle's my tasks pretty good. I've mentioned on here before allot probably that I do allot with video encoding, video editing, streaming, etc. and I feel like my Core 2 Duo is not enough sometimes. I would like to be able to leave something running at home to do things like big downloads and large scale video encodes without me having to leave my primary computer (MBP) at home. I have a 17" 4:3 ratio VGA monitor (with the adapter for minidisplay), a mouse and a keyboard. Would getting a Mac Mini be good? Will any of the slightly older models or even the newest models perform as well as my MacBook Pro at mulittasking while I let it to function alone? Thanks in advance! :) Not looking to spend more than 600-700 dollars.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
I have my 2010 MBP running ALLOT, which is fine because it handle's my tasks pretty good. I've mentioned on here before allot probably that I do allot with video encoding, video editing, streaming, etc. and I feel like my Core 2 Duo is not enough sometimes. I would like to be able to leave something running at home to do things like big downloads and large scale video encodes without me having to leave my primary computer (MBP) at home. I have a 17" 4:3 ratio VGA monitor (with the adapter for minidisplay), a mouse and a keyboard. Would getting a Mac Mini be good? Will any of the slightly older models or even the newest models perform as well as my MacBook Pro at mulittasking while I let it to function alone? Thanks in advance! :) Not looking to spend more than 600-700 dollars.

You should list the specs of the macbook pro "which sometimes isn't enough." The specs in your signature are incomplete.

lilsoccakid74

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
i think the base model with 8gb of third party ram would be a huge improvement. i5's are so much stronger than the c2d's.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
You should list the specs of the macbook pro "which sometimes isn't enough." The specs in your signature are incomplete.

In my original post I said my MacBook Pro has a core 2 duo and in my signature it should say my MBP is a 2010.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
I suspect the base, $599 Mini with an 8g ram upgrade would be more than enough. I find the screen sharing to be highly effective and I don't even run my Mini with a monitor at all. Just run screen sharing, hit the full screen button and you're just a gesture away from Nirvana.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.