Would a Mac Mini be good for me ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mmomega, Feb 17, 2010.

1. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I am looking for a good home server idea, I've been searching and searching and I get tidbits of info, also this is a brainpicking of all of you before making the jump.

What we currently have:
    -current Macbook Pro 15 (2.66 C2D model)
    -27 iMac i5
    -2 AppleTV's
    -3 iPhones
    -PS3
    -XBox360
    -2 custom PC's 1 wired, 1 wireless
    -Airport Extreme dual band
    -Airport express

What I'm looking for:
    I want a sold "home server" to add a good 2-3 TB of space too, be it internal or externals.
    All computers on network have a centralized spot to store whatever.
    Media server that can handle streaming ripped movies to at least 3 of the sources above for watching on TV.
    Backup server for TimeMachine storage and could handle the PC's as well.
    For the server to be out of the way, out of sight like a closet or attic space (controlled climate tho)

So what I'm thinking is def an Intel Mini w/ SLServer. Could it still stream, sync, backup quick enough without being hardwired? Do you think it could handle all of the above if setup properly or would building a little custom mini Server 2008 R2 server be better?

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

The Mac Mini will do this, but, sadly, PS3 and Xbox 360 will both do better from a PC based media server, and AppleTV will work just fine off a windows iTunes. I would go for a PC server, in your case. I base this off of doing almost the exact same thing with a Mac Mini and being frustrated with how the Xbox 360 connects to the Mac Mini. Downside is you wouldn't have a time machine'able setup that way.

3. mmomega thread starter macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I was kind of thinking the same but needed info from those with a little more knowledge on the subject, maybe even first hand exp.

I have heard of 2 products Connect360 that supposedly makes your xbox think your mac is a windows media center computer, and Medialink, basically the same for PS3.
    http://www.nullriver.com/products/connect360
    I just haven't tried them out yet, still at work for a few more hrs.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

5. akm3 macrumors 68020

They both work.
    Rivet is another one.

Vuze works too.

They all have benefits and disadvantages, but the end result of them is they get the media ON the Xbox, but it is just giant lists without cover art, descriptions, etc. It just isn't very elegant.