Would a macbook be an upgrade for Dual-1,8-G5 ??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by viento, Nov 7, 2007.

1. viento macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I´m unsecure if one of the newer MacBooks (Pro?) would be a step upward from my Dual-1,8-G5 Mac.
    Concerning internet+text almost every Mac of the last decade will do.
    But as I am using my Macs also with Photoshop there is the question of speed: are the newer Books any advantage?

I have searched the net with google, but haven´t found yet those comparison-bars for speed I was looking for.

Another question in this concern: would the lower priced MacBooks be sufficiant? I could run them with my 24" display on my desk.

And...one more last question: I still have my 400-titanium powerbook. Does anybody know how how much more speedy the newer Books are in comparison with this...?

Thanks alot for answering and helping me decide!

viento

2. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Oh my...

There is no comparison between a 400Mhz TiBook and a Macbook/Macbook Pro. One is 6 years old, the others are bleeding edge machines.

One of the new notebooks will outperform your G5 easily, especially with the new 4GB RAM limit. The macbook with run your 24in monitor, although there has been people complaining about a choppy UI in Leopard when running an external display. Although I haven't heard anything about the new X3100 graphics chip.