Would a Macbook fit my needs??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GeorgeD, Dec 30, 2008.

1. GeorgeD macrumors member

I'm a freshmen in college. I will be using a laptop to write reports and do other college stuff. I know a macbook can do this but here is where my question comes. Would I be able to successfully edit video (possibly with FCE) and possibly record music (with pro tools and/or logic) with a macbook? Hooking up a larger external monitor is an option. I'm just tight on money. Thanks

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yes. My late 07 MacBook could do all of that. I edit videos using FCE. I don't record music with Pro Tools or Logic, but I'm sure Logic Express will run smoothly.

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

This forum will make you paranoid, I swear. :D A macbook is fine for what you want to do. It handles FCE and logic perfectly fine. Max out your ram just for fun, and off you go.

4. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

A MacBook would be great for your needs. As long as the software available matches what you're trying to do, then go for it!

5. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I know I will be burned for it... but if you plan on using Firewire... You'd need the white one or look for an older Macbook or refurb MBP?

Either way, a Macbook can handle those tasks pretty well

6. ACiB708 macrumors regular

Yes the new MB is a very good machine and it will deliver. Just make sure you get a USB audio interface and you are all set :) Also, if you are going to use Logic make sure you max out your RAM.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'd say if you can afford the current aluminum MacBooks ($1300 or so) that you go to the Apple refurbished store online and purchase the last generation MBP. Much better than either the polycarbonate MacBook or the aluminum one. Better graphics, bigger screen that is matte not glossy, and it is the "pro" line of Mac notebooks.

8. jroller macrumors regular

Snowleopard's advice is good. I strongly recommend Apple's refurbs. That said, when I checked the other day, it seems like the holiday shoppers hit the refurb store hard; not nearly as much selection as there usually is.

9. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Get a good refurb MBP off of apple like other people have mentioned, the screen will be a big bonus and there is firewire for video cameras but there are usb cameras.

ChrisN

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Are you planning to throw your laptop in a bag and carry it to class all the time in addition to what you said in your post? If so, then the unibody construction and small (though IMO, crappier) screen of the alu MB will work better for you. If not, yeah, get the MBP.

And in the name of all that's holy, make sure you get a lock for whatever laptop you buy!

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely. The refurb MBP is an excellent machine, has been individually tested and tried, comes with MBP performance and power, that excellent screen and Apple's warranty.

Again, agree. However, I strongly recommend Apple's refurbs, so I suggest that you wait until the specific model you want appears.

Cheers and good luck