Would a macbook multitouch trackpad hack be possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bsheridan, Jan 16, 2008.

1. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Just wondering about this,
    would it be possible to make the Macbook (not Air!) trackpad, a multitouch, or is it completely out of the question?
    got me thinking after remembering the 2 finger scrolling

Thoughts?

2. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

I don't think this is possible.. i think the macbook air has a more advanced touch pad..

3. Domofloge macrumors regular

Domofloge

It would be awesome if the Macbook could have a multitouch trackpad via a firmware update or something. After seeing the demo of the "Air" on the Apple website, I have fallen in love with the three finger forward and back page flipping and the cool rotation ability. Cool innovation that I want for my Macbook!! :D

4. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

It may be possible.

My father uses an app to let him use 2 finger click and scroll on his 12" (soon to be replaced by a MB Air) Powerbook.

5. DaLurker macrumors 6502

The trackpad already has a 2 point capability so if they port the software it is definitely possible to have at least some of the multi-touch capabilities. Whether these trackpads have a 3 point capability is another question.

The real point is whether Apple will do that? From past experience, it would probably be no. In the past the PB's had the capabilities for two finger scrolling but Apple never released an update to allow them. Somebody else had to hack up drivers to do that.

From a marketing perspective this makes sense. Its another feature to tout when they release updates to the MB and MBP.

6. ohnonotme macrumors newbie

how about letting me use my ipod touch for a touchpad via some wireless interaction
    i think that would be crazy awsome to control your computer across the room

7. wheelhot macrumors 68000

My idea for a solution and possibilty

Okay, lets say the current MB is not able to sense 3 fingers. But it is possible to make the trackpad to recognize 2 finger swapping and 2 finger scrolling.

What I meant is, when the user swips with his/her 2 fingers horizontally, the software detects the movement and recognize it as swapping with 3 fingers as in MBA.

When you swip vertically, it means you are scrolling.

Because most of the finger movement revolves around 2 fingers, Im pretty sure some genius would be able to make a software to recognize your finger movement and make it understandable to a Mac.

8. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Pretty sure there was a discussion in another thread around the time of MacWorld where someone mentioned they had used 3rd party software that did just that, added a couple more gestures like swipe to the old trackpad. You'd have to do some forum searching to find it though. Never saw a link or name of said software.

9. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

You can. See here for details. Link

I've done it with my touch, it's great. Have fun! :D

10. 08r-dc macrumors newbie

Hi everybody. It's my first post on this forum...

I'm interested in this topic and at this purpose I want you to notice that macbook trackpad does multitouch in Ubuntu...in particular i've found, in some repositories of 7.10, apps that can enable horiz and vertical scroll from both sides of the trackpad...and (I can't reach it right now) I've seen a video form a guy that explain (with a gui in ubuntu) the multitouch function of the trackpad highlighting on screen the point touched

So i guess it's only a firmware/software implementation problem

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No it's not possible. You need a multitouch controller chip which you won't be able to install.

12. 08r-dc macrumors newbie

That also old macbook have!!!
    Because you can scroll up/down with two finger...but if you try with three finger? Is scroll possible? no...so I think thath the trackpad can recognize multitouch...

look at this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeLUxsvIVuU

13. tonybeyondo macrumors member

Yeah- I've done it too- it's controlled by VNC, and the new version has all of the features of the new MacBook Air trackpad- zoom in/out, page next/back, two finger scroll, etc... I'm amazed by the iPhone/iPod touch- we are just seeing the beginning of the possibilities here. Apple has ushered in a new era of palmtop computing now.

14. random truth macrumors newbie

I am working on developing this...
    I am blogging my progress here

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

16. TylerDurden0 macrumors newbie

"If you gotta ask, big boy... you can't afford it."

Love that line from Beerfest.

17. brendu macrumors 68020

thats what i want

18. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

http://www.mobileairmouse.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4MFCNGnpE

I use mine almost daily as an iTunes remote, but it also includes the keyboard and trackpad. You don't have to be in the same room, or point it at anything since it uses your wireless network.

So, basically, it would probably be cheaper for the OP to get Air Mouse and duct-tape an iPod Touch to his trackpad :D

19. berrykerry789 macrumors newbie

bump... so there is not way to hack the old macbooks to recongnize more than the 2 finger scroll?

20. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Do a google search for BetterTouchTool. This has worked for me.

21. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

reading the first few posts on this i was so confused cuz i was like "i coulda sworn that the new macbook had multitouch" then i looked at the date and was like "ohhhh" lol:D

22. cool2040tech macrumors newbie

Electrostatic Touch Pad

the mb's and and some pb's have Electrostatic Touch pads which is also used in iphones ipod touches and ipads
    electrostatic senses static from your fingers instead of pressure
    apple patented electro stactic touch
    it is possible to get 3 finger touch but you need to hack the drivers

23. ShaunC macrumors member

bump

will this work with a white macbook 2008 model? I've tried installing it and having no luck

24. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

The newer MacBooks have an extra chip that makes this possible.
    However, you could do it with software on an older MacBook. It just would not work as well.
    Like the Old PowerBook G4 2 finger scrolling hack if anyone rememers that. It worked, just not very well.

Bettertouch tool does not work with some models randomly, It did not work with my 2008 Black MacBook.