Would a MB fit my needs?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Kajje, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Kajje macrumors 6502a

Kajje

Yes you read this correctly, yet another would-fit thread. If you are not a(n ex-)MB owner, please don't share your respected opinion. I'm aware of the non-MB alternatives (MBA or MBPr that is), I'm aware of the differences between the models. The company I'm working for has Macs for every employee ranging from iMac, Mini, MBPr and even a couple fully stocked Pro's. But alas, not a single MB.

What I'm looking for is real life experiences, hopefully with forum members with somehow similar needs as I have.

My current config and usage: a 2014 MBA base model (128GB 4GB). Used extensively, daily, for web development (PHP and Python) using MAMP pro, Sublime Text and Firefox with ~20 open tabs. Once every few weeks I open Photoshop or Illustrator for some light file manipulation. Never really felt it was giving up on processor or memory capacity.

I choosed the MBA above a MBPr exclusively for its size. I do travel a lot, all my laptops see more continents than the pope. I use the keyboard a lot. In fact some of the keys even are loosing the black coating because of that. I remember that, when I switched from a MBP to the MBA a couple years ago, the MBA keyboard felt quite different to type on, however after a few days it didn't bothered me any more.

Today I'm in the market for a new laptop. I'm thinking about getting a MB. I for one love a single ported machine. I have some second thoughts though:
    1) The MB has new keyboard technology. Is it good for intensive use and, did you adapt easily?
    2) Did you feel the MB was underpowered CPU wise?
    3) Does the 12" screen feels too small compared to the 13.3" MBA/MBPc? For what it concerns, I do have perfect eyesight.

Thanks for any feedback!

2. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

I don't do Web Dev, but most the other things you have on you list I do, and have no issues at all.

1) I've had it for 4 months now, and it took me a couple of weeks to get used to it. I love it.
    2) Not at all. I use Word, Excel, PP, Mail, Web, and a few network admin tools with no issues at all. Handles it as well as the MBA.
    3) I think it's better overall. Even scaled down it's better than any of the MBA's. I came from a 13 and 11 MBA, hands down the rMB is far superior.

3. Kajje thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kajje

Thanks for that! Are you using your rMB as your main machine and if so, is it in front of you most time of your working day?

4. David58117 macrumors 65816

1. It took a few days (coming from a 15" rMBP/11" macbook air) - but now I absolutely love the keyboard. It feels tight and controlled, whereas the older style keyboard feels like typing on marshmallows.

2. After about 3 weeks with the base model, no, I haven't felt it was underpowered. I think those complaints have been severely exaggerated. When I bought it, I expected youtube to lag and bring it to it's knees - based on what people said. But in use - I get about high 80-low 90% free CPU with - Skim with 3 large PDFs open, Sibelius playing a midi I'm working on, MS Word open, Safari with multiple tabs, Essential Anatomy with muscle layers being modeled and me zooming around, - Everything being smooth, and with 3 desktops open. Chrome and streaming are fine.

3. Doesn't feel cramped to me. The 11" air did, but the aspect ratio is so much better on the 12".

5. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

It is, yes. I use it with no external monitor at all. When I go to meetings, its with me. When I go, in my case, and use it at home. I get a good 7 - 9 hours use on battery. I do some on-call stuff too, and have had no issues.

Don't miss any of the ports either. I didn't really use them that much on my old MBA 11", so not really an issue.

6. Kajje thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kajje

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I use my 1.2 rMB in business & engineering; personally I am very pleased at around six months of use. The rMB is the perfect travelling companion when on business trips, holding it`s own very respectably in comparison to the 13" Retina, barring CPU intensive tasks.

I own 12", 13" & 15" Retina`s each notebook has it strong points & compromises, the rMB has portability & design "in spades" equally there are obvious trade offs. Of all the Retina`s I find the 12"the most impressive as a complete package, albeit for balance the 13" is the clear winner, outright power clearly the 15" The Retina MacBook certainly handles day to day tasks with aplomb, I guess the "acid test" is would I buy another rMB, resoundingly yes...

Q-6

8. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

As an ex-MacBook owner, I guess I'm qualified to answer then. 8gb is pretty scant nowadays for development given you'll inevitably run VMs at some point. If you haven't then you've been lucky but I've no idea how you do database development on the road. That 8gb also has to provide 1.5gb for the integrated graphics so in reality an 8gb machine isn't that. So given the current rMB has a ceiling of only 8gb then I'd immediately pass on it.

9. SteveJUAE macrumors 68020

SteveJUAE

I would say you would be fine on most counts especially for travelling however KB is a bit subjective as it depends on your style, so if your a martial arts expert and break 4x2 with your digits it's not for you however if you are quite light handed you will adjust faster IMO

10. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

I'd wait for Skylake or buy the Macbook Pro. I have a Macbook and I love it for what I do, but for what you described (I'm a software architect for background I guess so I know what the workload is) you're probably better off price/performance with the Macbook Pro.

If you want to simply buy it and sacrifice some performance absolutely for design, than you likely won't be disappointed.

You can also return it, so there's that.

11. Kajje thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kajje

Valid points, however I have access to most of the Apple products in the office (except for the MBr). I choosed the MBA over the MBPr and I haven't felt this was a wrong choice for me by any means. I'm just wondering if I could get away with the MBr.

Returning is absolutely no option. First because our distributor won't accept it back, second because I'm supposed to stick with my choice for at least 1 year.

12. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

I have a rMB, and use it all day, every day. I don't do development, but I'm a lot on the road, do customer presentations, work a lot in MS Office 2016 and a online web insurance system. I also have a late 2011 15 inch MBP with i7 CPU, SSD ect. - a pretty capable machine, and I haven't felt this has been a slower computer at all, at any point since I started using it.

It's a wonderful machine, and I have been very very pleased with it. As said I use it as my primary machine and the 12 inch screen is lovely - just perfect. I have considered a "dock system" here at the office sometime in the future, when I can get a sweet USB-C Monitor and use that for all-day-office-days when big spreadsheets and massive PDF's needs to part of the workflow. But so far, not missed it

13. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

You might be able to. If it was me I'd get the MacBook Pro.

14. Retops macrumors regular

Some thoughtful, useful replies here. I think I will move from my old Air to the new MB based on the real world experiences here. My constant goal is to keep traveling weight as light as possible and hence I am using the IPad a lot, but there are times when a full computer is needed and that will soon be the MB.