Would a mini work for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by simplymuzik3, Feb 16, 2009.

1. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

Hi, Im planning on buying a new mini if it's not ION. Otheriwse Im going to buy the current mini since it's faster. Okay, so right now i have a powermac g4 single 400mhz. Im going to keep that for my itunes library, msn, mail, etc. I want to know if a mini will be fine for me. The mini will run CS4 suite. It will mostly fun adobe flash cs3/4, some photoshop, and sometimes premiere. It would also run FCE or FCP a few times each week. I would also be doing basic browsing and whatnot. So, I would like to know if the mini can handle the programs mentioned above. Usually flash and internet would be open at the same time. Photoshop, premiere, and FC would not usually be open at the same time. Thanks for your help! btw, If a mini cannot handle this then can you please reccommend something that can (Im on a budget which is why I chose the mini). Thanks.

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

predicated upon the assumption that a new mac mini will have accept 4GB RAM and have the nvidia graphics like the macbook, I think the mini would be sufficient to use these programs for hobby use.

3. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Mini should handle that when its updated.... Who knows how long it could be.

4. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

The updated (if/when updated) Mac Mini should handle it, not like a breeze but keep it stable according to what you're going to be using it for.

But you can always go the Prystar way since you're on a budget.

5. JonMcDonald macrumors member

Would not suggest Prystar, currently their in a lawsuit against Apple. Just wait for the new Mac Mini

6. simplymuzik3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

okay thanks, Im going to wait for the new mini's and then get a new top of the line refurb about a month after they come out. Thanks for the help.

7. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

You know, the same source that said the new Mac Mini will be out no later then the first week of March, said it would be with an Atom processor. I sure hope not.

I am considering some Mac Media Server to connect and use all of my movies, family photos, and videos of the kids. Also want to allow kids to play on that instead of the MacBook Pro I bought them last week for specifically that purpose. It was a used deal on Craig's List and I couldn't pass it up. I use a MBA2, and was getting tired of sharing mine with them for Elmo & Transformers videos and such.

But I really wanted the rumored media server and not a new Mac Mini. If there is no Mac Media Server, I too will be buying the Mac Mini. However, I do not believe under any circumstance how Apple would think putting an Atom in it would be acceptable... unless the role of the Mac Mini is changing. You know like Apple is making a new headless Mac. Then they could sell the Mac Mini as an ultra low priced (reduced barrier to entry) way to make Windows users switch.

I guess whatever happens with the new iMac and Mac Mini, it should happen within the next three weeks. Surely after Apple's recent disclosure that it has struggled with desktop sales, it will have to release some new Mac desktops to revive those sales.

Hope the wait is worth it for you, and then it will be for all of us.

8. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Getting off topic here, but I believe the Atom Rumor is directly related to the Apple TV or variant there of.

9. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

That would have made a lot of sense, except just last week Apple was rumored to be asking all AppleTV owners what they want in the next version. It would seem that the AppleTV has to be much further off based on the recent questions. It all takes time to develop if just now asking questions. I guess could be Atom and etc but will be a lot further off than the new MacMini and iMac, I would think.

Just my two cents. I hope we see a huge refresh of a bunch of Apple products, but right now the best money is riding on an iMac and Mac Mini...

10. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

Photoshop CS3 runs Quite well on my 1.6C2D mini. I only have Photoshop though so I cant say about the other CS3/4 apps, but the iLife suite runs verry well on it and the 09 version is realy quite capable for hobby/home video editing and photo retouching and colour correction. Even the current Mini's would be a huge improvement on your 400MHz G4. Just max the RAM

11. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

More specifically, and importantly, the ION platform. That could have a substantial impact on performance.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you are willing to spend the extra, the white MacBook is a very good option.