Would a new (refurbished) iPhone 4 run iOS 7 better than a used one?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ttinc, Oct 25, 2013.

1. ttinc macrumors regular

My phone is beginning to just give up...it takes 20+ seconds to open up the messages app and load it sometimes, 5-8 seconds to process a response from touching the screen (selecting an option or something) and I will type a couple sentences, wait about 10 seconds and then it will write out the entire thing on its own like a ghost -- in a nutshell, it's becoming painfully unresponsive.

If I fork over $150 for a replacement, do you guys think the performance will improve? I wish I could trade it up and pay some extra for a 4S.

2. Nickwell24 macrumors regular

I wouldn't expect performance to improve. If restoring your phone doesn't fix performance issues don't expect a different phone of the same model to work any better.

3. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

All you need to do is do a full restore and set up as a new phone.

4. ttinc thread starter macrumors regular

So I have to restore it to factory settings? If I restore it from a backup, it will still likely have performance issues?

5. Nickwell24 macrumors regular

Your best bet is starting from scratch and setting it up as a new phone like the previous guy suggested. That's the best way to see if it's hardware or software performance issues.

6. ttinc thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, thanks I'll try that out. But I feel like I'd inevitably have to restore my phone from a back up anyways...text logs and pictures most importantly I guess -- is there any way to just restore those things onto the phone?

7. viperGTS macrumors 65816

I think it's definitely possible that a newer iPhone 4 will run iOS better than an older one. Couldn't the processor potentially degrade over time? It would be even worse if it was defective to begin with...

Just a thought.

8. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

The only positive about buying a new/refurbished phone is battery health. Battery health tends to decrease with old phones over time.

9. clauzzz203 macrumors regular

Would a new (refurbished) iPhone 4 run iOS 7 better than a used one?

I will insert my standard macrumors topic response:

DELETE ALL BACKUP ,RESTORE AS NEW AND ALL WILL BE PERFECT

Lol @ degrading processors

10. ttinc, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

ttinc thread starter macrumors regular

Ya, I don't know...it still has delay and computing incompetence. Then again it has always had some degree of it even with the previous iOS iterations, just now it is kind of ridiculous.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I think I'm gonna need to find myself a 4S to hold me over for the next year at this point as I really don't care for the 5.

Edit: I turned on "reduce motion" and "increase contrast" -- running much better now, albeit it looks like crap...but at least it works almost normally now.

11. duron macrumors newbie

duron

ce prosti sunteti voi astia straini cu minte de kkt si cu 2 clase,,, Of course you'll have **** performance,,,

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Performance no, battery yes.

I would just restore as NEW, don't use backups to get it as fresh as possible.

13. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Stai calm ca nu intelege nimeni ce zici aici si plus ca tipu e newbie la iphone-uri.

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

No, performance wont be better. May be some placebo effect. May be some extra performance from doing a fresh setup and restore.

But CPU's don't age in a way that reduces computational speed.

15. clauzzz203 macrumors regular

Inteleg eu ma :)) of course he has to learn

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The 4S is noticibly faster than the 4. It's at least twice as fast with a much better GPU.

17. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

If you really HAVE to restore your backup, then restore the device via iTunes and set up as new. Then restore your backup. Afterwards go to settings>general>reset> reset all settings. You will have to run back through setting up your settings like you want , reapply wallpaper, and re-join any wifi networks. Otherwise your data and apps will remain. Also you may want to consider a DFU restore. You can web search that for the process. That is a low level firmware restore. Then follow same steps above for restore backup and reset all settings. Either of those will refresh the OS and perhaps help with your issue. A refurb unit wont help and will be a waste of $$.( unless you have some underlying hardware issue which I doubt)