Would a reformat null Fan Control 1.2?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tocyk, Jun 13, 2008.

1. tocyk macrumors member

I am trying to reformat my MBP, but recently, I downloaded Fan Control 1.2 and I never properly uninstalled it I believe. I was wondering, if I reformat my Mac, would EVERYTHING return back to factory settings, including the fan, or would Fan Control 1.2 still reside somehow becaue I never went back to default settings? Thanks a lot.

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

if you're doing a clean install, then yes, Fan Control would be removed

3. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

Finnaly another peoson with the same issue as me. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=497813

ok heres what Fan Control 1.2 does, it takes over the speedstep in the firmware and manualy takes it over. when you uninstall Fan Control the fans will stay at the speed it was when you used the program and it wont reset to defalts. A reformate will do nothing because I tryed it and the fan speeds are still messed up. If you are luckey and have an older mac you can use the apple firmware restoration. http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/firmwarerestorationcd17.html

for me since I have a newer macbook pro apple didnt release their firmware restoration for the newer macs yet.

4. tocyk thread starter macrumors member

hmm, what should we do then? I'm not sure if I ever fully installed or uninstalled fan control so I'm so lost on what I should do. I haven't noticed any problems.

5. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Yeah that's obvious weemanpow3, So is the solution.
    - Install it again (it does perfectly on 10.5.3 btw) and then delete all settings you have in there.

But it does not anything "hacky", it just raises bottom level(s) of fans's RPMs.
    You can not lover it beyond factory defaults. So there is no danger.
    It's only annoying if you let it run at 6K, and then deinstalled it.

tocyk you might as well proceed to reinstalling OS, and Fan Control, this will reenable you to adjust speeds.

6. tocyk thread starter macrumors member

So as I went back to trying to download Fan Control, I realized I'm not sure if I properly installed it. All I did was install it via the "Installer" I never touched anything such as adding the source code, etc. I'm honestly not quite sure how I am supposed to activate it. Should I just delete any traces of FC and pretend it never happened? Or should I continue further cause I 'DID' install it?

Thanks a lot. Sorry about my confusing post.

7. tocyk thread starter macrumors member

OK, so I finally realized Fan Control runs off of System Pref. (excuse me.. I'm a noob).

Could someone explain to me the best steps I can now take to getting my computer back to factory settings? Thank you kindly. Essentially, I don't know what the base fan settings are, or how to properly uninstall (the instructions on the Fan Control site have a weird step where I do a SMC restart or something?)

Lesson learned here... don't download things you know nothing about.

8. tocyk thread starter macrumors member

9. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Yeah, you should be all set
    If only you could find manual's article about resetting your head :D

10. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

when you go into activity monitor and quit the fancontroldaemon process, the fans go back to apple default speeds. anyone know how to prevent the daemon from starting up? i went into system/library/launchdaemon and found nothing :(

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i really dislike Fan Control.

goes too deep to control the fans IMO. Hated it and went with SMCFanControl.

12. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

anyone? how does one prevent a daemon from launching at startup?

13. hari-bhari macrumors regular

I have tried multiple times to reinstall and uninstall fan control and it seems to have completely screwed my FW. once i uninstall it, my fans stay at the idle 2000rpm no matter how high the temperature gets. i can't find any way around this other than manually ramping the speeds up with smcFanControl or reinstalling Fan Control and letting it maintain control. This is on the newest macbook pro, fw 4,1. if i were you i would stick to smcFanControl which is what i would have done

14. Cadium macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

To completely uninstall most fan control programs you must uninstall the application, delete the application support files for the application and delete the preferences, followed by a PRAM (cmd-option-p-r) reset during boot and an SMC reset as well. That should reset the machines fan settings back to factory defaults.

15. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

the thing is, is that Fan Control isn't like most fan apps (i.e. smcfancontrol). It actually modifies speeds at a firmware level.

16. Cadium macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

It shouldn't be able to, the EFI firmware checks its digital signature to ensure it has not been tampered with every time you boot the machine.

17. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

well whatever it does, it affects the reaction of the fans to a given temperature. Perhaps a OSX modification

18. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

yea, i really dislike 'fan control'

here's some info that might help frustrated people out there.

I installed 'imac fan control' (similiar to 'fan control')

1. delete smcfancontrol (if you already have this installed.)
    2. delete imac fan control' or 'fan control' as described, deleting the daemon + pref. pane in the library folder
    3. restart. now empty the trash can (that couldn't be deleted because files were being used). restart again.
    4. after a clean restart. once at the desktop, do a SMC reset. you'll hear a long beep that'll confirm.
    5. do a PRAM reset as you boot up. do this atleast twice. For a total of 3 startup beeps.
    6. confirm with istat widget that fans follows factory setting rpms.
    7. download and install smcfancontrol
    8. confirm with istat

my contribution to stress free, headache free fan control