Would a Retina Pro be better???

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JerTheGeek, Jul 28, 2014.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Hello everyone.
    I am currently using a 2013 13' i5 Air with 4gm RAM and 256gb storage. I love this thing and use it every day. I know the Air is great at the main things I do with it, which is web browsing, storing my photo and music libraries, word processing and other school stuff (I'm a homeschooled highschooler), etc. The Air works great for all of these things; BUT I also run a small YouTube channel, and I use my Air to make these YouTube videos in iMovie. The videos are usually around 10-15 minutes long, sometimes 20.
    So my question is, would a retina Pro be better? I've heard the difference between the i5 and i7 is barely noticeable, so I know i have the right processor. And I couldn't have gotten 8gb RAM cause I bought refurbished. So I know I have the right specced Air, but i still wonder if an i5 13' Retina Pro would be better for me.
    What do you guys think?
    JerTheGeek

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

For the usage you described, other than of course the prettier Retina screen, I think you would notice no difference at all.

3. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Thanks for the insight! I do like the retina screen, but I actually like the extra thinness and weight a little better than retina.

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

As stated, the display would be the only real difference. Performance wise, you have more than enough in the Air. If the display of the Air isn't bothering you, leave well enough alone and enjoy it:)

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

The only difference is the retina screen.

What is your complaint about the mba?

6. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Not really a complaint, I'm just wondering if the i5, 4GB RAM Air is the best machine for doing iMovie stuff for my YouTube channel.:D

7. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

It should be fine...

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

Theoretically it is more than fine for imovie. If it does what you want it to then there is not need to upgrade.

9. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Only a 300mHZ difference.

A quick overview of the specs reminds me; the Air turboboosts up to 2.6 gHZ, while the Pro turboboosts up to 2.9 gHZ. Only a 300mHZ difference. Certainly wouldn't be that noticeable when doing iMovie.

10. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

It's actually a question I've asked myself.
    The beefed-up 13 inch MBA (8GB128GB) is "dangerously" close to the smallest MBP now, due to the price-cut.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

For what you do, I say keep your 13" MBA, as it'll do everything you just listed without any issues.

Having said that, if you had neither a 13" MBA or rMBP, it would depend on how much portability and battery life are worth to you. If extreme battery life is not the feature you're most dependent on (e.g. 5 hours of continuous usage is realistically the most you'd need except on one-off, infrequent occasions), then I'd generally recommend the 13" rMBP over the 13" MBA. The screen is better 100% of the time, but you don't require 8-13 hours of battery life on a regular basis, so obviously having a better screen all the time is great.

If you're dependent on that battery life, then the 13" MBA offers more "insurance" when you're away from home, and a wall socket.

12. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Yeah I use mine mainly as a home computer so I dont really need battery life; but I think the main reason I chose the Air was price; I recently had my 11' Air returned and Apple gave me a refund because it had an issue with the screen. So I had around $1000 to spend and I was buying refurbished. I simply couldn't afford the 13' retina Pro. Plus I'm a homeschooled highschooler, and the Air seems like a better choice for students. So really the Air was pretty much my only choice. And it still provides all the performance that I need. Plus I love the ultra thinness of it:D:D