Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

03sho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Would a firmware update allow us to use facetime with other mobile phone users on 3g?

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
That's all it would take, but whether or not it will happen is another story. My guess is that it will be touted as a feature in the iPhone "4S."

jonny5alive

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2008
It wouldn't be a simple update because all the other phones use different video encoding standards.

With FaceTime Apple has tried to create its own standard which they want everyone else to now change to.

PaulieORF

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
Connecticut
I read somewhere that FaceTime over 3G (or the blocking of) is controlled by the carrier. So, like when AT&T finally supported MMS on their network they pushed out a carrier update through iTunes, I would think that as carriers start allowing FaceTime over 3G, they'll push a very tiny update through iTunes. Of course, this is just based on whatever the heck article it was that I read that suggested that. If that is true, then Apple would have already had to include the appropriate compression and whatnot to do decent video calling over 3G.

EDIT: I think perhaps I misread the original post. I thought you were asking what would have to be done to use FaceTime over 3G, but it looks like you meant with phones other than iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.