Would a Slide Out keyboard make an iPhone Nano more Relevant?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andrew K., Jan 9, 2009.

1. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

I know many of us cannot see a smaller iphone with a smaller screen, ESPECIALLY for typing. But wouldn't a slide out keyboard make more sense? I know Jobs hates buttons but if this device is not going to have a 3G data plan, ( Which is a big selling point for purchasing ) wouldn't a keyboard kind of solve the issue of having a smaller screen, and be a key feature to convince people it buy it? Plus if this is targeted towards teens or people who text alot I think it would sell well. I would even buy one as a back up for my 3G :D

things that you think are issues but really are not:

Different screen size CAN handle the same apps such as games

Online apps would have a message before buying that the app saying it will work on wifi only.

Landscape sms full screen will display only the conversation , at the near bottom of the screen it would have a send button and a shift key which would bring out a row of different characters such as @&!(#*+= that you could slide through to select.

450 min Unlimited text = $60 a month not bad for a teen or even a person who wants something between an iphone and a touch

I think this way an iphone nano would be plausible , what do you think?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

A physical keyboard would make it not be an iPhone.

End of functionality discussion.

3. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

No to a slide out keyboard, my iPhone would look like a LG's Rumor (likely, just the keyboard part)

I'm satisfied with the touch-interface keyboard. Satisfied as well for my current iPhone 3G. I'm satisfied with my phone in short.

EDIT:
    Tallest Skil beat me to it.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I don't see a physical keyboard ever making it on an iPhone.

5. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Given how great the Pre looks so far .... making two separate iphones with seperate feature sets would only confuse customers, would then say "Screw it, I'll just get a Pre"

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

They sell an iPod Touch, which doesn't have a data plan.

Why does Apple need ANOTHER device without a data plan?

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

For moms ... who want an iPod Touch ... but with a phone .... but you know, that's not an iPhone ;)

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Great, they can buy the iPod from Apple (at a nice profit) and the cut-rate phone (with almost no profit) from Nokia.

Why would Apple want to do Nokia's dirty work for them? Let THEM sell the cheap phone that makes almost no money at all. That's the perfect situation for Apple.

9. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Hey brother ... I'm totally on board with you.

Oh well .... I'm just stoked about the Pre Nano that I just KNOW is coming ;)

Palm Pre Nano confirmed

10. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Yeah. I especially like being able to make phone calls from my iPod Touch. :rolleyes:

I'll agree that a slide-out keyboard would make sense for a Nano-like device. Phones like the LG Rumour and KEYBO seem very popular, especially amongst university and high-school aged people.

What I don't see is such a device from Apple. Having gone buttonless on the iPhone, I don't see them reversing that trend. Should they do an iPhone nano, it will have some sort of virtual keyboard. My guess would be something similar to the BB Storm:
    [​IMG]

With a full keyboard in landscape mode.

11. Andrew K. thread starter macrumors 65816

LMAO :D hahaha that one WILL also have a keyboard!

12. Andrew K. thread starter macrumors 65816

That would be cool! I dont know if Apple would do that though but THAT would solve the smaller screen problem!

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I guess you hadn't gotten to my second post yet.

14. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Doesn't solve the problem of carrying two devices around with you. I bought an iPHone in large part because it mated my iPod and my phone perfectly - no combination of iPod and cell phone is as perfect as that.

If an iPhone nano had existed, I certainly would have considered one in place of my 3G, since I don't strictly need many of the features of the 3G (e.g., 3G networking, GPS).

An iPhone nano would be a fantastic solution for a lot of people. Whether that would make it viable to Apple I don't know for sure - I'm no industry expert. But I think the concept has some merit. :)