Would a TBD work with PC (Mini Display)?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by caligomez, May 25, 2012.

1. caligomez macrumors regular

caligomez

I'm going to be upgrading my work laptop, and I require a PC. But at home, I have a two MacBooks and a Thunderbolt Display. The PC I'm considering is a Lenovo X1 Carbon (the new ultra book from the Thinkpad line). It looks like a sweet machine, which will have Ivy Bridge and Mini Display port (without Thunderbolt).

So my questions is.. Will the TBD work as an external display? Is the PC's MiniDisplay 1.1 port compatible with the TBD?

Sometimes you have to bring work home, and this would be pretty convenient..

Thanks!

2. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

No, it wont. It only works the thunderbolt port. You will need a cinema display if you want to be able to use mini display port .

3. caligomez thread starter macrumors regular

caligomez

4. Ashok0 macrumors regular

Yeah the Apple Thunderbolt Display DOES work with PCs but there is only one motherboard that is compatible, the Thunderbolt equipped MSI Z77A-GD80 which is only for desktops.

I'm guessing we'll see some TB PC notebooks soon, but I don't know what the ETA is and if you don't want to wait for a long period of time it might be easier to use a mini-DP Cinema Display from 2010.