Would a top-end 13 inch MBP run Civ VI and BF1?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gooseta, Oct 25, 2016.

1. gooseta macrumors member

gooseta

I have a gaming desktop at home so this wouldn't be my main gaming machine. Just wondering whether it would be better getting a mid-tier 15 inch or a top spec 13 inch for Civ 6 and BF1? Would run civ 6 at full scaled res and BF1 at 720p I think. (This is about the upcoming models, not the 2015)

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Civ VI technically doesn't meet the requirements on OS X for the 13" because it wants a quad core, but it'd probably run on low, especially on Bootcamp.

The spec of 13" doesn't matter, it's going to have bad integrated graphics. If you can afford the 15" get it.

3. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

Mac run games like an amputee runs a marathon.

You better get a Windows laptop.

4. leman macrumors G3

Civ 6, yes, although very sceptical about full res. BF 1, no idea.

5. gooseta thread starter macrumors member

gooseta

I have a windows desktop and that already makes me want to shoot myself, can't deal with a windows laptop.

6. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

Really? Is it running Windows 10 (anniversary update) ?

7. gooseta thread starter macrumors member

gooseta

Yes. I have always been a big windows user and it is bearable in desktops but windows laptops are appalling, terrible trackpads, touchscreens that I have no use for, stupidly high resolution screens with awful windows scaling and no optimisation, look awful, build quality is average at best, battery life is the same as it was 4-5 years ago, I could go on...

8. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

This advice isn't really helpful...given that windows laptops that have a similar form factor to the 13" typically still don't have a dGPU. A handful will, but most will still run these games dog slow just like the 13" rMBP.

9. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

Seems like you have your mind set.

10. jerryk macrumors 68040

Then buy a mac and live with the limitations.

Maybe someone will come out with a external GPU and you can get some performance back, for another $600+.

11. leman macrumors G3

Well, I'm playing Civ 6, along a bunch of other games on my 15" rMBP and I am quite satisfied with the performance. Sure, the Windows versions are generally faster, but the difference is not that dramatic to offset the inconvenience of switching to my Bootcamp partition every time I want to relax a bit.

12. Camoxide macrumors regular

Mid spec 15 inch would be better as it has a dedicated GPU rather than onboard graphics plus the obvious advantage of having a quad core rather than dual core. Even the base 15 inch has noticeably better onboard graphics