Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
I'm thinking of getting a Powersupport screen protector. Anti-Glare or Crystal? I'm not sure yet. But if I do get one at the Apple store, would an Apple employee install it for me? I ask because I suck at applying them :(

gokart mozart

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Yes. No bubbling, even after I applied the case. Now, there's a certain human element to all this, so maybe not all the employees are as good at it. But I would assume that a less confident employee would hand it off to someone that they know can do it well.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Was it a perfect installation?
At the store I worked at, employees were allowed to install them, but not required to. We didnt get any special training on some magical way to do it so that it's guaranteed perfect, so I was one of the employees that wouldn't put them on for customers. There was usually someone else I could find that would do it though. Watching my co-workers, everyone had a different way, and none of them were totally perfect every time, so I just stayed away from the whole mess. Lol

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
At the store I worked at, employees were allowed to install them, but not required to. We didnt get any special training on some magical way to do it so that it's guaranteed perfect, so I was one of the employees that wouldn't put them on for customers. There was usually someone else I could find that would do it though. Watching my co-workers, everyone had a different way, and none of them were totally perfect every time, so I just stayed away from the whole mess. Lol

Haha at my store I was known as "sp king" because I was the one to help out the guests with their screen protectors. I've put on hundreds :D

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
One last question.

Where do they apply it for you? In a backroom? :confused:

barkingDog

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
I'm thinking of getting a Powersupport screen protector. Anti-Glare or Crystal? I'm not sure yet. But if I do get one at the Apple store, would an Apple employee install it for me? I ask because I suck at applying them :(

From the responses above, sounds like I'm in an "area" where they (for some reason) just don't do it. I live near 2 stores, and neither one will do it. Though if you mess up (on your own), you just bring the whole package back and receive a new one. (I don't purchase SPs from Apple anymore though, so it's a moot point now.)

In any case, this was how I was pushed into mastering the task myself. The case I use is exceptionally susceptible to exact positioning, lest the corners will lift. In the beginning, many wasted screen protectors, much time fiddling with specks of dust underneath, and so on. Now I'm quick and tidy: done within minutes usually.

But gawd help me, screen protectors are one of the banes of my existence. Yeah, I have the choice not to use one, but I choose to do so. I hope the next iPhone iteration at least won't have a scratch prone (read: glass) back -- leaving only the front to protect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.