Would an Apple Store repair an eMac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by neoelectronaut, Apr 26, 2009.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

I've got a 2003 (ATi Graphics) eMac that no longer boots up. I suspect it's a bad hard drive.

I know it's a standard off-the-shelf hard drive, but I can't imagine getting into the thing to replace it. I replaced the DVD drive not long ago and that was nerve wracking enough, apparently you have to get even deeper in to get to the hard drive. I found repair manuals but the instructions are always a little bit too vague for comfort.

Would an Apple store repair this eMac? (For a fee, obviously) or is it just too old for them to do anything with?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

More trouble than its worth. Can you boot of an external FW drive?

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Unfortunately, Apple has a policy of not working on machines more that 5 years old, at least dealing with the hardware. The reason being that in many cases, if something were to break, the parts are almost impossible to find. Replacing an HD in an eMac should not be difficult though, I would suspect any Apple Authorized Repair Center would be able to do it for you, or really any Tech.

TEG

4. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

They consider them "vintage" after a certain age. Any parts they had, get sold off to other 3rd party vendors and apple authorized service providers.

Both replacing the drive or using an external FW drive are both good suggestions.

Remember, drives and storage are CHEAP!

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The aught three ATI eMac is still considered to be supported.

6. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

You might want to give us a little more information of what "no longer boots" means exactly. Does it turn on at all? Is there a chime?

If it turns on and it shows a flashing folder icon with a '?', then it can't find an OS to load. If you insert the OSX cd's and boot from it and that can't find a hard drive, then i'd say yes its probably a bad hard drive.