Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohsnaphappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
I have a late 2015 5k iMac. Fully loaded. 4ghz i7, 32gb ram, 1tb ssd, Radeon M395X 4GB.

My fav game, WoW just upgraded their system requirements and I can't run the game on max settings anymore. Everything still looks incredible, better than it did in fact, but I'd love to get the game back up to max settings to see all the pretties.

So would an eGPU help? My iMac is Thunderbolt 2, cry, so I'm guessing no, but thought I'd ask. I don't mind buying one and sending it back if there are no improvements... thanks so much!

ohsnaphappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
are you willing to use an external screen?

Ohhhhh, is that the catch? Hmmmmm, I doubt it. A new screen and egpu would get me close to an entire pc, as far as cost? I dunno. Plus an external monitor would really junk up my desk....hmmmmm

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
On Windows, internal screens are supported, but unfortunately, there's not enough bandwidth for a 5k monitor.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
I honestly wouldn't waste money on an eGPU for a 2015 iMac as it's at least $600-800. Just suck it up for another few months and get the new iMac, or get the iMac next year (if there is one). If you sell your iMac the difference won't be that large.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.