Would an i5 MBP be overkill for my needs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thechungster, Apr 22, 2010.

1. thechungster macrumors regular

So I'm looking in buying a MBP for let's say college+university. I currently have a late 2007 BlackBook but would like to sell it. All I do is:
    Browse the Internet
    Consume media
    Type documents
    A tiny bit of Photoshop at times.

So would the 15" i5 MBP be a bit silly for my needs and should I just stick to the cheaper but more portable 13" MBP? The specs of the 15" model is tempting (Well, except the Intel HD graphics) but the 13" model might be better for my needs? I'm just unsure and want your opinions. That's all :eek: Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You don't "need" an i5; the choice will come down to screen size for you.

3. thechungster thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think that the weight+size might be a bit too much for carrying around?

4. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Well, the new MBP 15" isn't that much heavier than the older black MacBook 13", so it'll just be the size. But in a bag I guess it doesn't really make that much of a difference.

But like miles01110 said, you don't need anything more than the C2D. The 13" MBP will also be a nice upgrade compared to your current machine. Still small, noticeably lighter and a better screen (albeit a bit more glossy).

5. Agnel macrumors member

One more factor you'd want to think about is budget. The difference is $600.

You can get a cool mouse + keyboard + new monitor and still save some cash. Not to forget external drives ;)

6. Passenger88 macrumors member

Passenger88

But on the other hand you will be more prepared for the future. Don't know after how long you replace you Macbook.

7. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

I don't need an uMBP i5, high res or a 160gb X25-M to replace my perfectly functioning C2D 15" MBP... but I'd buy it again in a heartbeat LOL.

8. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I graduated with a degree in Comp Sci as well, and a MBP will work well for your needs (a MB would be sufficient, but the larger screen will be a welcomed addition). As was stated, you would be best to run bootcamp, although I found most of what I needed to do worked fine in a virtual environment. Install bootcamp and VMware and then run the bootcamp partition in VMware (the best of both worlds, as it will work for 80-90% of what you need, but if more power and control are needed, just boot into Windows directly and everything is already there, as you were working in that partition already).
    The one thing that caused me to switch to MAC that no one has mentioned yet, is I hated having to plug in my computer half way through class as the battery was dying, when others running MACs made it through without a hitch (most of my classes were night classes lasting between 2-3 hours for those wondering). There are much more powerful systems out there, but that power comes at a price. The performance to weight ratio MACs deliver has been unmatched in my opinion (figuring in how much an extra battery, and charger weigh when carrying them around).
    I don't think you would go wrong, but you might want to ask someone within your department for their opinion (and a professor, not just someone pursuing the major, as they can best steer your needs). My school has also gone away from the larger servers and labs of the past to a more portable and individualized development with everyone running their own instance of the IDE (what computers are in the labs are now just PC and not very powerful ones at that).

My $0.02 (but probably only really worth $0.002)

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

+1. nicely said ;)

10. thechungster thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone. Went to the Apple Store today to compare the 2, and I think I'll get the 13" MBP (2.66GHz one) :)

11. chrissmash macrumors regular

Your decision...

Hi there,

I've just finishing computer science at University in Northern Ireland and I have used a 15" MBP the whole time, I have been tempted by the 13" for portability it would be excellent, personally for what you need it for I would recommend buying the 13" MBP and with the saved money buy a nice big monitor you can keep at your digs.

Good luck with uni!

Chris

12. thechungster thread starter macrumors regular

Actually..I wouldn't think a 2.4GHz compared to a 2.66GHz would have much difference, right? So I guess I might go for the base model and get a nice 256GB SSD with it, or even an iPad for the amount of money!