Would an iPad benefit me?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PDFierro, Jun 25, 2011.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I need help deciding if an iPad would benefit me based on my usage. I have just locked in the unlimited data plan on Verizon and will be getting the iPhone 5 when it comes out. As of now, my only device would be the iPhone. No computer.

I have been looking at the new Airs that are coming next month, but I'm afraid the cost of one would set me back too much ... and I also don't think I need a full featured computer at this point. Although, it would be nice for easy typing in the coffee shop and the like.

Right now, I'm not traveling place to place everyday and using my devices in public places or transporting them ... but I'm moving in the winter to an urban city and I will be. So I'm thinking for the future, and now sort of. I usually just go to Starbucks and Barnes & Noble every now and then at this point.

I'm confident the iPhone will do everything I want to throw at it. I don't do much. Most of the time I'm on the computer I'm mainly surfing or using a few applications.

My usage, I'm a screenwriter so I do a lot of writing. Most of my work is already done, but I think the iPhone would be fine for light edits or even heavy typing. I've used an iPhone before and found the keyboard really easy to type on.

I'm also a heavy video watcher. I would most certainly fill my iPhone up with plenty of movies/TV shows. What size would you recommend for the iPad? I will get a 64GB iPhone if they offer one, if not then 32. I was thinking 16 for the iPad, unless I really should get the 64 and put lots of video on there. I was thinking WiFi only, since most places have WiFi and I will have unlimited data on the phone.

What do you recommend? Do you see no reason for me to get an iPad and just use the iPhone for my first 6-7 months or so? So basically, on the iPhone I would be doing internet, Hulu, some writing, video, and plenty of apps, etc. Yup, I'd be a heavy user.

I'm thinking it isn't necessary, but even though I'm comfortable with the size of the iPhone ... the iPad could be a luxury when sitting down at places or even in my own home. Just browse the web on the big screen and move from activity to activity, and do the rest of the things on the phone.

I'm not sure what the benefits are in the iPhone and iPad interacting with each other, but I was also looking at the HP TouchPad. I love webOS, but it doesn't have the apps I need. And I don't require to be able to do those things on the tablet, just the phone would be okay. But then I'm not sure how owning two different company products would work.

I like to keep things simplified, but I'd also be using the two devices for different purposes. It's not like I do a whole lot of e-mailing or business stuff, so syncing isn't a big deal here.

Thanks! Sorry if it is a bit long.

2. waltercln macrumors regular

I wouldn't say its nescessary but it's a nice compliment and beneficial. When I decided to pick one up it was going to be strictly for entertainment, which would be movies, games, and some browsing. However, now I take it to school to write notes with. Most of my heavy web browsing is now done on my iPad and I barely use my laptop. It just feels right it feels more natural. I think whatever you get it for you will love it and will find it be to a very nice compliment. Things you didn't buy it for you will start using it for, I can't say how happy I am to have one.

I was going to buy possibly an android tablet but the deal breaker was the apple store. When something went wrong with my iPhone the apple store replaced it with no questions asked. You can't find that customer service anywhere else, it was really a no brainer to get the iPad. I say go for it, and I'm sure you will find more use than you can think of right now as i did.

3. Fernandez21 macrumors 68040

Fernandez21

I say unless there is a specific use case you need the iPad for, save up and get the MacBook air. While the iPad is very enjoyable and natural experience, it is more of a luxury item at the moment and if your strapped for cash it would be better to get the more capable device, especially if your goin to start typing out several pages worth of scripts. And by the time you can get the air it will have been refreshed with a faster processor and possibly better battery!

4. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

That's just the thing, I don't think I could afford an Air at all. A bit out of my price range.

5. waltercln macrumors regular

iPad + a bluetooth keyboard is much cheaper for what the poster intends to use it for.

6. vistadude macrumors 65816

You will definitely need a computer at some point. There's a lot of things the iphone cannot do, like some sites to pay bills, banking, etc. So I would say get the iphone and some kind of computer, whether it is a premium laptop costing around $1000 or if you want a cheap laptop and ipad. With a computer, you don't need to transfer a lot of video to the ipad (who watches movies twice btw?), so even 16 GB or 32 GB is good.

7. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Yours a screen writer...unless you are using a typewriter and copying everything, or writing by hand and sending off for transposition, you need a computer not an iPad. IMO.

Get a used air when the new ones drop, with AppleCare. Should be about the same price as an iPad and keyboard, and readily available. Buying new on a tight budget seldom makes sense.

8. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

I do agree that I will need a computer at some point. I'm just speaking for the next year or so. Thanks for the opinions, I will weigh my options.