iPhone Would an iPhone 5S run quicker with a non Retina display?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by braddick, Jul 25, 2014.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I've noticed between the 3GS and the iPhone 4, the 3GS runs a bit smoother. It can't really be the internals as the 4 is upgraded across the board (so to speak).

I was thinking though, how much faster would the iPhone 5S run if it was provided with a non-Retina screen (like the 3GS) instead of the power hungry Retina display?

I suppose I'm kind of wondering if Apple built an iPhone 3GS with the 5S parts (other than the display screen).

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I really doubt the screen has anything to do with how smooth the iphone runs or even if you could put a non retina display on that it would make a difference.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It wouldn't be any faster. The iPhone 4's responsiveness is such when compared to the 3Gs because they both use the same GPU, but the iPhone 4's has to drive four times as many pixels. Apple may have upgraded the CPU and memory, but the GPU is the same. The iPhone 5s doesn't have this problem when coming from the iPhone 5. Both the iPhone 5 and 5s are very able to properly drive their high resolution displays. Even the 4S is able to drive its display very well.