Would an iPhone be successful with the insides of a 6+ yet the exterior of a 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Sep 13, 2014.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I always enjoyed the form function of the iPhone4 and when the 4S came out, thought it was the quintessential perfect iPhone.

Fast forward to today and it got me to thinking if an "iPhone 4" with the hardware and firmware of the iPhone 6+ would be a success with Apple?

I'd start a poll, but would rather read your comments as to why you would agree or disagree with what is really just pure conjecture or speculation on my part.

2. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

I know that's what I'll buy if it were available. Huge sale volume? Probably not. To be honest, I think my dad and myself are the only 2 people I know of personally who appreciates a smaller form factor. Most everyone else I know want bigger phones.

3. timbos macrumors member

You're not alone. I'm gutted that the 6 is bigger: I'm still adjusting to my 5s being big. I just don't want a big phone in my pocket. :(

4. ggf, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

ggf macrumors member

absolutely

I think you would be surprised at how many people would prefer the 6 functionality (obviously less the screen size) in a 4 sized package. I'm one

5. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

Ugh no I hated the 4. Cold metal exterior, I hated it. So square and a pain in the butt to hold. Rounded mm yes.

6. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Aesthetically the 4/4s is a sexy piece. Glass and metal combo was awesome... But I agree, the aluminum and round edges of the 6 series would blow people's mind off and a big departure from the brick design of the 4 and 5 series. We have a hit on our hands with the new design IMO.

7. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Funny I'm on a 4S right now as a temp phone.

It's actually pretty great and I forgot just how much I liked it when I owned it.

If it were a bit more slim. With the 6 plus internals it'd be awesome.

This phone is so potable.

8. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

Hard to say. Some demand is certainly there, but if we look at Android, the 4.7-5"+ phones sell far better than the "Mini" 4-4.5" versions they occasionally release alongside or after.

I do think we'll see an iPhone 6c next year, maybe in the 4" form factor with colors, as the 5c will likely fall off the lineup.

9. makotoisle macrumors 6502

I think one of the reasons Apple hasn't made an iPhone Mini is because it could be pretty difficult. Yea, market says we want big phones. But it's easier to pack better internals into a bigger phone as well; maybe this has something to do with why we don't have a mini model.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It looks like they didn't have room for OIS in camera on the 4.7 iPhone 6 so my guess is no.

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

A big element in the success of the 6 and 6+ is its thinness and round corners. So a 6+ with the shape of a 4 would be a big flop. The competition would eat it alive.

12. ronjon10 macrumors regular

If you're going back to a previous model, head back to the 3 series. Smooth rounded corners were much more comfortable in the hand.

13. bmms8 macrumors 68020

I don't know about being successful or not, but i think the 4 will always the classiest design. Though the new ones are more wow, i think the 4 is timeless.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes but the 3G/3GS felt plasticky. I'd rather have the much more premium feel of the 4.

15. Makala macrumors regular

I think those white lines on the back of the 6 are ugly, I don't know what Apple were thinking. I think the 4 & 5 designs were fabulous. Size however I'm not bugged, the normal 6 is only a tiny bit bigger, overall I picked the bigger one though.