Would an iTunes gift card be processable for the 2.0 update?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Pain, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Pain macrumors regular

2. nintendofreak93 macrumors regular

3. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I haven't been able to buy apps with my gift card so I'm kinda wondering now. When I try to buy it, it says I need to fill in my billing information. So I'm kind of iffy right now.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

Fill it in. You won't need to supply a credit card. The billing information is just for your name, address, etc. It needs that to determine sales tax.

5. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

ive been able to buy apps with gift carrd

6. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Doesn't work for me, its all filled out, and then it brings me back to the App page and I just keep going through the same circle

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

That's pretty odd. If you've got a number divisible by 10 as a balance (or anything would work, this is just easiest), you could buy an electronic gift certificate and then create a new account. I can't imagine it being flawed on two different accounts.

8. Eärendil Guest

Akonradi, thank god i put a New Hampshire address in there.

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

Why? Do they not charge sales tax?

10. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Well... I used an American address (as opposed to a Canadian one) and it worked. Odd because neither has a credit card on it.

11. Eärendil Guest

They do not charge taxes for internet sales, along with Alaska (i'm sure) I believe Montana or/and Vermont, and another state.

There are 5 states that do not charge those nasty taxes. New York used to be one of them (back then when there wwere 6 lol)

: )

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well, if you're gonna sign up for a US account when you don't live there, it's smart to go for a place without tax!

13. Eärendil Guest

Yeah, I need those album artworks! ;)

Yellow pages is my best friend.

14. Pain thread starter macrumors regular

This is the most dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

I contacted Apple regarding this, and they said that a gift card would work for the upgrade, but people in Canada need a credit card to buy applications.

LAME.

15. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Thanks for confirming that pain, that was my (sad) suspicion

What # did you call Pain?

16. Pain thread starter macrumors regular

The 1800 number... on the technical support part of Apple's website. The guy told me to file a complaint, though.

17. skir0987 macrumors regular

And that is why I love Vermont :D

New Hampshire also doesn't have tax on computer sales over the internet, which is why I get all of my apple stuff shipped to NH.

18. sirpaul macrumors newbie

This is retarded, I already redeemed my card on a Canada account, now how the */*#$ am I going to get my 2.0 update??? Is it possible to change your address AFTER you register a gift card?

19. Trini2Dbone macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm new to the Apple world (and to this site - 1st post). Is this still in effect?

20. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B118 Safari/6531.22.7)

No.

21. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

I should have put new Hamshire as my sate. ****.

22. Pain thread starter macrumors regular

What ended up happening to me was my gift card didn't work at all. They made a mistake, so they refunded my purchase when I did buy it with a credit card, so I technically got it for free.

But no, gift cards DO NOT work for buying iPhone software updates OR applications in Canada.

23. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Gift card works by country.

24. Drucifer macrumors regular

This is not true. Apple has made some changes to the Canadian iTunes Store when the iPad was released here. Since then Canadians have been able to purchase apps using gift cards. If you want to try it yourself try to buy a "Free" app with iTunes and you will need to create an account. You can create an account without entering a credit card number. Then once the account is created you will be able to download all the free apps you want then at any time you may redeem gift cards to the account and use the credit to purchase Apps. I've been doing it since Apple made the change, before that I was using my credit card but at least now friends and family members can give me gift cards. :D

25. Saberon macrumors 6502a