Would an overclocked iMac G3 sell for much?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Arkious, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Arkious, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015

Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

I have an iMac G3 DV that is fully upgraded and over clocked from 700MHz to 800MHz. It is a lovely machine but I don't give it the attention it deserves so I was thinking of selling it on. But I'm not sure whether its worth much or not or if anyone would be interested.

Anyone know if this would sell?

Cheers :)

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Overlocked or overclocked? I hate spell check sometimes! As to whether it will sell or not, depends on the price. We have about 5 x G5's at work that might just end up being donated or chucked. By the time they have been wiped and rebuilt, it's probably cheaper to put them in a skip.

3. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

overclocked, bummer can't change the title

Yeah its just with it being better than the best it could be i thought someone might be interested in it

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can change the title by clicking the edit button on your first post.

5. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

cheers :)

6. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

iMacs sell for $40-$80. It's up to you if that is a lot or not.

7. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

In some regions, they go for a bit more because they are not as easy to find.

However, it's safe to say that, in the U.S. & U.K., you won't get a whole lot for one. You will get more than usual though, considering yours is the last version of iMac G3... and better-yet, over-clocked.

I'd say you could get anywhere from $40-80 off of it. I wouldn't pay $80 for a G3, but I'd say that is around the market value for one. If you had a lesser model, it would not be $80, unless it's a rare model. Most of these are not old enough to be collector's items, but are too old to be worth much. They also produced TONS of these things; I have about 12 of these machines.

Given that it IS over-clocked, fully-upgraded, and is a high-end model, I suppose you could get an O.K.-amount of money from it. It is sort of hard to judge the value of most of these, though, since the prices seem to be all over the place, and different configurations are plenty.

P.S. Off-topic, but your current MacRumors rank (or higher) allows you to have an avatar!

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I paid a bit more than I'm proud of for my Rev. B Bondi, but think it was worth it. It's in good condition and a somewhat collectable model, plus has the original keyboard and mouse. The Rev. C flavored ones were produced in mass and I have two of those. Those aren't likely to fetch any kind of high price and I didn't pay much for them.

Looking at the eBay listings I can tell that some sellers either don't know or don't care what a fair price for an iMac G3 is. eBay isn't the best place to buy or sell it anyway, because of the high cost of shipping something so heavy.

P.S. Most of the people that don't have avatars don't care and are perfectly fine with not having one ;)

9. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

Thanks for the info guys :)

even at £40-50 id be more than happy to sell up for.

I'm actually after 20" G4 with the money from this Mac, it's the one type I've never had the pleasure of working with

10. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I'm going to venture out and say you might actually get a good sum for that iMac. G3 iMacs have gotten more rare in recent years and are selling for more than they used to. The last 700MHz models even more so. I'd start the bidding (if you're going eBay) at $100. I think you'll easily get it.

11. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Yeah, the prices can be all over the place. Some of the flavored ones demand higher ones, though, and are more collectible. As for the Flower Power and Blue Dalmatian iMacs, those seem to demand anywhere from $60-120.

I know, I was just letting him know in case he was unaware. It's rewarding to get the avatar ranking ;).

12. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

With a machine that old, overclocking won't increase it's value at all. In fact, to some people, it might even decrease value, because overclocked systems tend to be less reliable and fail faster due to heat generation (and with that model's fanless cooling, even more likely.)

13. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

Im here in 'sunny' UK so it would cost a bit to get it shipped to you (I would be happy to do so if you were interested though). But if not its good to know someone is interested :)

I actually turned it on today and sat playing Age of Empires 2 on it for about 2 hours :-D man I had so much love for that game

I set my avatar up :) its now my 'hackintosh' PowerMac G5 :)

Its had the cooling modified, so theres no thermal pads in there. It significantly reduces the cpu temperature... it actually crashes with the pads as the heat transfer is so poor. It has a wedge of aluminium with Arctic MX-5 between both sides giving a better heat transfer.

14. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Thanks, but I don't have any use for it. If I were to grab another iMac G3, it would be an original Bondi. I just keep an eye on what stuff sells for to see if there is anything in my collection that might make me a buck! :D

15. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Yes, it is rewarding :D and of course the OP got one after your post thereby proving me wrong, should have known it would happen ;)

Good luck finding an original Bondi. I was lucky I got mine when I did.

16. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

i have a rev b also :)

17. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

How can you tell if yours is b/c?

18. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

Mine is a 233 bondi blue, not one of the multi colours. It actually tells you somewhere I just can't remember where ^.^

19. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

rev a and b are "bondi blue", revs c and d are multi-colored (where the blue is different than bondi.)

Rev a has 2 MB (with optional 6 MB upgrade) Rage IIc graphics, Rev b has 6 MB Rage Pro graphics. That's the only difference between a and b.

c is slightly faster (266 MHz instead of 233,) and got rid of the hidden mezzanine slot and infrared. I know there's something else c changed, but can't remember off the top of my head.

20. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The easiest way to tell the difference between a Rev. A or B is to look at the manufacture date on a label located next to the ports. If the manufacture date is on or after October 17, 1998, it's a Rev. B; Before and it's a Rev. A. With the Rev. C flavored ones they stopped printing the manufacture date.