Would any update / bug fix make it worth unjailbreaking your phone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ckurt25, Aug 23, 2010.

1. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I am going to seriously consider unjailbreaking my iPhone 4 if a fix comes out and I am continuously having problems with the proximity sensor. I just got my 4 last week and didn't have any problems with the sensor until yesterday when I hung up and dialed another contact 3 times in the span of 5 minutes. That was extremely annoying. If it continues and a fix comes out, I'll be very tempted.

Primarily I use MyWi, SBSettings and a few other tweaks. If AT&T had a less expensive tethering plan I'd probably do it in a heart beat.

Anyone else going through similar pains and are considering an iOS update knowing it would mean having an unjailbroken phone?

2. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

No proximity sensor problems here, so I'll stay jailbroken. If I did have those problems, I would probably unjailbreak if they got too annoying. Pointless to buy an iPhone if you can't make calls reliably.

3. astrorider macrumors 6502

Wifi tethering to the iPad is the only thing I jailbreak for at this point.

4. ckurt25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it was just some oddity yesterday since it worked fine for the past week.

Semi off topic, why does AT&T charge $45 for tethering? If I'm on a 2 GB plan, why should they care how I get there? If I used 1.5 GB on the phone and another 500 MB tethered, I didn't go over my limit... To be honest though, I don't know how cheap a tethering plan would have to be for me to use it vs MyWi, $10....? I seriously doubt they'd go from $45 to $10 so I shouldn't hold my breath.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I'd undo my jailbreak if Apple released a patch that permanently unlocked my phone. Tethering is nice, but I only use it once every four months.

6. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

I only use wireless tethering (MyWi) like once every couple of months, but when I need it, it is necessary. Another thing is if Apple can get rid of the "Accessory Connected" screen, then I can be unjailbroken.

Those are my only two necessities to jailbreak.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Even though that proximity bug is annoying me I'd wait sometime till a JB for 4.1 is out.

8. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

For me full AVRCP blutooth support is important. I saw it's coming in 4.1. Not sure what I will do. Will see.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, thats a also a pretty cool feature.

10. organsoup macrumors member

If lockinfo and sbsettings were standard iOS features, I wouldn't even bother with a jailbreak.

11. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

I would have to second guess jailbreaking if a quick reply feature was added to the OS. I seriously don't understand why Apple has not implemented this feature yet. It is retarded to have to leave what ever program or game you are in just to respond to a text.
    At least I have BiteSMS for this until then.....

12. PhantomZone macrumors 6502

I can't see me unjailbreaking until I restore this phone to sell it!

Its unlikely Apple will have any updates making it worthwhile between now and next hardware release....

13. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Same here. Throw in something like AttachmentSaver and I'd never jailbreak again.

14. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Same here. Could deal without themes and lockinfo even, but sbsettings is such a time-saver.

15. theNEOone macrumors 6502

I'd unjailbreak if the stock OS had at least any two of the following:

-customizable lock screen
    -widgets
    -true gmail

or one of the above and all of the following:
    -tethering
    -FaceTime over 3G
    -Built-in SBS settings (or similar)
    -expanded SMS application w/ quick reply, quick compose, etc (a la BiteSMS)

=|

16. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

+1

OP, did you not consider taking your phone back and exchanging it?

17. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

The tweaks and utilities available on a jailbroken phone will always make it worth it to me to jailbreak. You get tons of more options with no negatives.

Even if SBSettings, Lockinfo, BiteSMS etc were added into iOS, there would still be some jailbreak only apps.

There are many hacks that will never make it into iOS, for whatever reasons. These include:
    • Themes (carrier logos, tap to unlock, icon themes, etc)
    • Browser Changer
    • Iconoclasm/Five Icon SB/Dock, Shrink
    • iFile
    • Infiniboard, Infinifolders
    • Snappy
    • Xpandr
    • Commcenter hack (native tethering) to use my data however I want

See what I mean? Many jailbreak tweaks never have a chance to make it into iOS, but I rely on them in order to use my phone to it's true potential. Vanilla iPhone, IMO, is not a good phone. Before I understood jailbreaking, it was fine. But now that I have seen the light and can use my phone to it's potential, I will never go back.

I also much prefer Cydia to the App Store (aside from the organizational aspect). The ability to receive an update as soon as it's available is very important to me. No waiting for bug fixes, etc.

As long as iOS remains rigid and structured, I will jailbreak. This is my device, and I want to be able to do whatever I want with it.