Would anybody buy my product?

Chanabbott

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
I have an idea for a new iPhone case: it is a thin, colored plastic back shell that snaps onto an iPhone 5 (or any iPhone or phone for that matter) to imitate the hipster look of an iPhone 5C? I would use an autodesk program to make the product, then send it to a fabrication facility to mass produce. They would retail for about $10-15. Would you as a consumer be interested in my product? ;)

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
I have an idea for a new iPhone case: it is a thin, colored plastic back shell that snaps onto an iPhone 5 (or any iPhone or phone for that matter) to imitate the hipster look of an iPhone 5C? I would use an autodesk program to make the product, then send it to a fabrication facility to mass produce. They would retail for about $10-15. Would you as a consumer be interested in my product? ;)
Probably already exists lol

jeremysteele

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2011
Would cost a lot to make
Unless you ordered a few thousand.
Agreed. While they can definitely do small runs of the various cases - it would cost a lot. In order to get it to that $10-15 price point a serious commitment to a manufacturer would be required.

----

Honestly not sure why someone would want to make a $200 phone look like a $99 phone?

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Agreed. While they can definitely do small runs of the various cases - it would cost a lot. In order to get it to that $10-15 price point a serious commitment to a manufacturer would be required.

----

Honestly not sure why someone would want to make a $200 phone look like a $99 phone?
Hard to name any case that doesn't do that already.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I have an Apple leather case on my phone. It is the lime green one. I have been asked 4-5 times now if it's the 5C. So... I think it may be close enough for those that want something like this.

You case would also have to be devoid of the Apple logo. I feel this would cause the phone to look more or less like every other minimalist case out there...

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
If you're talking about mimicking the (gorgeous) curves of the 5c, I don't see how that would be possible without extending the bezel by several millimetres all round and artificially increasing the depth of the phone?

If you're simply suggesting a range of pastel cases then you're competing with this sort of product. Sure, yours might be a better fit and a better colour match to the 5c, but when you're up against those kinds of prices you're going to have a very hard time convincing people that $10+ is justified.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
I have an Apple leather case on my phone. It is the lime green one. I have been asked 4-5 times now if it's the 5C. So... I think it may be close enough for those that want something like this.

You case would also have to be devoid of the Apple logo. I feel this would cause the phone to look more or less like every other minimalist case out there...
Apple logo can be achieved with the window just like Otterbox

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
----

its not about the price...Its about the experience

For some that $99 5C is worth a million and $200 5S worth....nothing because they don't care to own it or don't like it.

For me my 5S is worth $900 because thats what I paid for it....

Personally I would love to get case that would/will make my iPhone 5S look like a 5C from the back...the 5C feels soo solid and the curves make it more comfortable to hold and type on that the 5S.