iPad Pro Would anyone be interested in a bigger iPad?

Macintoshrumors

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
(Omitting price) Would you buy a ‘15 or ‘17inch iPad Pro if apple made one? How about a ‘32 you can mount on a wall or use as a monitor? Will the iPad ever go past 12.9 inches?

Australianapplefan

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2019
Australia
I would but ill have to have a look at the form factor of it I got the 12.9 3rd gen it is a perfect size for portability because I also got 15 MacBook Pro I carry around with me as well I use the iPad when I dont wanna get it out but I be open to the idea of a bigger iPad Pro and also as a monitor I would definitely get one

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
With the release of the 16" macs it doesn't take alot of imagination to see how great this
screen size would work for artists and other technical users.

Wando64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2013
(Omitting price) Would you buy a ‘15 or ‘17inch iPad Pro if apple made one? How about a ‘32 you can mount on a wall or use as a monitor? Will the iPad ever go past 12.9 inches?
You do realise that the bigger the screen, the thicker it has to be just to sop it from flexing.

That’s not a bigger iPad; it’s just a monitor that can run iOS.

Reactions: akash.nu

Richard8655

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago
I think it would start to defeat the purpose of portability. Sure, many might like carrying around a thin but large tray-like device. But still interesting idea.

Precursor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
I can imagine a 21" or 27" becoming a Microsoft Surface Studio replacement. Certainly some professions (drawing/painting etc.) would love such a size increase!

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
I suspect many professionals (illustrators, etc.) would welcome a larger iPad Pro. And with it would no doubt come specialized accessories such as stands, docks and so forth, and probably an improved Apple Pencil. But for most customers an over-sized iPad would likely be too big, and the cost could be astronomical. To me, it seems like it's a product that fits in Apple's portfolio like the iMac Pro and the Mac Pro fits in.

Reactions: ericwn and secretk

Abazigal

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
When the 2018 iPad Pro was released, I first went with the 12.9" iPad but returned it a week later as I found it too large and unwieldy for my needs. The 11" pro is ideal in terms of portability and weight. I don't think I can stomach an even larger one.

subjonas

macrumors 68020
Feb 10, 2014
Apple could make up to a macbook pro-sized (15-17”) ipad pro and keep it in the realm of portability. Of course at that size, I wonder how big the consumer market would be. I imagine it would be mostly for enterprise, namely stylus-wielding creatives. So because of the niche market, and because I think enterprise users usually prefer the versatility of macOS, I’m doubtful this product would happen. But who knows.

It’s also possible Apple could make the foray into desktop iOS with an iMac-like 21”+ non-portable iPad. But this would take gorilla arm to a new level so I think this too is unlikely. Unless Apple gives in on the full mouse support issue. Again, who knows.

Personally, I would heavily consider a 15” ipad pro for drawing purposes.

Siamchaim

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2019
London
if you go over 12.9 (which is pretty big imho), you lose portability completely which begs the question why have such a big tablet that's bigger that most laptops people use.

it serves a more and more niche audience, Apple isn't a big fan of super niche markets any more (hint mac pro)

Though when bending phone technology gets perfected, who knows what will come next, perhaps we'll get bending ipad pros that open up 24"

aevan

macrumors 68040
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I would love a 27“ canvas that runs a modified iPadOS and sits like a surface on my desk. As for iPads, not sure it would be practical as a tablet, but for illustration, I’d love a 16“ version.