Would anyone buy/trust a cheap waterproof case from the bay?

solo118

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Basically I am going away for a week and want to have a waterproof case for my 5S to take into the pool/ocean for photos, etc.

I do not think I will use it on a daily basis, so I was looking for something economical. On "the bay" there are plenty of options, but is it worth risking my phone?

Here is the link I found, it looks very similar to a lifeproof case or similar but at just $8.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190908342368&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Thanks for any advice in advance!

----------

Forgot to mention I am currently using an iloome flex screen protector, so I am curious if that is even compatible.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think the question for your thread is "would anyone trust" and in that case, I don't know. Probably.
It is up to you whether you want to risk your phone.

solo118

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2011

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Would anyone buy/trust a cheap waterproof case from the bay?
People do this sort of stuff all the time. Sometimes it works out for them. Sometimes it doesn't. Is that really what you to rely on? Personally, I prefer thoroughly researching my options to find what suits me best and researching the vendors to purchase from a reputable one. That said, each person has to do whatever works for that person.

I do not think I will use it on a daily basis, so I was looking for something economical. On "the bay" there are plenty of options, but is it worth risking my phone?
If I was shopping for a waterproof case I'd put its reliability and performance at the top of my priorities. Your phone. Your call. Worth is always a highly subjective matter.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I haven't bought that one but bought a fake life proof off ebay for my 4s and it was horrible, got a refund.
Just buy a real life proof you will use it more than you think. I just did a 12 day Bali trip with a 5S fre , was great got some video/photos in a pool and turtles under water, surf shots in the water, was good when it rained too. I am still using it now. My wife was wishing she had one.
Not worth risking a $1k plus phone for $70.

Premium1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2013
Honestly there is no guarantee that it will work and no warranty with it. It all depends on if you're willing to risk it or not. I'd say if you do, make sure you water test it first.

cambookpro

Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I use a A5 or A6 Ortlieb documents case. Easy to do up and screen still works underwater, and quite cheap.

However, I've never taken it diving or anything. It was just for changing music tracks by the pool on holiday, so I can't say I tested it intensively!

sam23478

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2017
Basically I am going away for a week and want to have a waterproof case for my 5S to take into the pool/ocean for photos, etc.

Here is the link I found, it looks very similar to a lifeproof case or similar but at just $8.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190908342368&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Thanks for any advice in advance!

----------

Forgot to mention I am currently using an iloome flex screen protector, so I am curious if that is even compatible.
[doublepost=1511302002][/doublepost]Puddleproof : they are offering a wide range of good quality waterproof gear. You might find what you are looking for here https://puddleproof.ca/.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.