would apple actually save some money making the iphone water proof/resistant?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Good4Another, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Good4Another macrumors newbie

I have a camera that's water proof. It has a mic, speaker, lcd screen, battery, and usb port on it... essentially all the types of things that would need to be made water proof on a phone and it cost an insignificant amount more than a regular camera. It seems like it would be pretty easy to put a rubber gasket in the housing to seal the major parts from water and then do whatever else to the ports and buttons that the camera mfg did. All the water sensors and having people call and try to return phones and processing them and all that's involved it almost seems like they might be able to save money, make customers happy, and use it as a major selling point. I love the camera, I never really have to worry about it all and it sure would be nice to not have to worry about the phone. I'm not saying they should do it to advertise making calls underwater or anything, just basically making it so the chasis would actually have to be physically compromised in order for water to ruin the phone. Any thoughts on this?

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

If someone drops their iPhone in the crapper, and they go back and get it replaced ... Even for the $199 discounted price, that's about 70 bucks profit for Apple. If I remember correctly the 3G had about $120 build price.

3. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

How would they save money? If anything, they make more money when someone wants to replace their water damaged iPhone out of warranty.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

They would benefit from having water sensors that weren't faulty - I've seen numerous stories about iPhones being set off just due to the climate that the person lives in (e.g. going from areas of hot to cold causing condensation to build up). My own 3G S succumbed to this but luckily I knew people at the Apple Store who replaced my iPhone in lieu of the water sensor being set off.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Personally I would find it a complete pain having to take out or otherwise move covers on the dock port or headphone socket whenever I wanted to plug something in!

6. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

well they would save some money and if they charged more when you would buy it i would be happy to pay more :D

7. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Wow really?

I would mind having that if i knew i was going to the pool or beach or a place like that...

8. GTDaveMac macrumors regular

Apple may make money by selling phones to people that drop them in the water, but can you imagine the amount of money they would make if they partnered up with this company and were the only manufacturer to do so?

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/tag/golden-shellback/

There are some videos on there of a treated ipod touch playing underwater. This was on the Today show last year. It's pretty cool.

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

yeah a waterproof iPhone would be awesome, and only a tad bigger!

[​IMG]

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

They would waste more money researching because they would have to worry about water pressure and stuff like that.

Not worth it. In my opinion, people need to be more careful with their phones. I've had a cell phone for 7 years and have never had it break on me due to neglect. If your near water, then your just an idiot and you want your phone to get wet.

But that's just my opinion of course :eek:

11. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

That's the problem and the mindset of most people. For years and years, everyone has had to live in fear when around water with their gadgets. If Apple could develop some kind of coating to cover the whole phone and it's internals, it would be revolutionary. People would fall out of their chairs when they heard that they could take their iPhone swimming with them, listen to music in the pool, film video under water, etc etc. Or hell, some people would even be excited about texting in the friggin shower.

This company (called Golden Shellback- their website doesn't work) has made some kind of coating that they've tested out on BlackBerries and laptops. Take note, Apple. http://www.blackberrycool.com/2008/07/new-treatment-can-totally-waterproof-your-blackberry/

12. GTDaveMac macrumors regular

Uh... did you read my post? Another company has already figured it out... they just need a manufacturer to work with. They say if that fails, they will try to work out a way for people to have this done to their devices instead.

Again, if Apple were to work with them and include it into their process, I feel it would be really good for them.

The product website doesn't seem to be working, but the company website has all the vidoes too: http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/tag/golden-shellback

13. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

They should make it drop proof and water resistant.

I kicked my RAZR down the street and it was fine.

I used my RAZR in the pouring rain and it was fine.

I hate how I have to coddle my iPhone like a new born baby, I want to go naked but i'm paranoid so I keep it in a case with a screen protector 24-7.

They either have to make them tougher or offer some insurance for them thru AT&T.