Would Apple do this for me? First Gen MBP.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by airjuggernaut, Feb 1, 2009.

1. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

Well, I just bought a 15" Intel 1.83Ghz MacBook Pro (First Gen) and was surprised to find out it has 22 days of AppleCare left on it.

Now, this is fantastic, because i've noticed a few issues.

1. The Infamous Hum/Whine issue that plagued the Rev. A MBP's.

2. The display has white blotches (Similar to the PB Screen issue)

3. The SuperDrive rejects almost all discs

4. The charging area is a little wonky at times.

I called AppleCare and had a nice talk with them today about all the issues, and they told me to take it into my local Apple store.

Now there's one issue.

I'm going to a Competition for a few days (DECA for anyone who might know) on Thursday, and I would like to take the laptop along.

So here are my questions:

1) How long do repairs (Especially since the MBP is old) typically take?

2) Can I ask Apple for a loaner laptop? Or can I ask them to exchange my MBP for a new MB? (Because with all of the new parts like the Display, SuperDrive, and the Logic Board, wouldn't it roughly cost the store the same amount as a new MacBook?)

3) How many days are the repairs covered for?

4) For anyone that ever had a first-gen MBP, did the hum/whine issue go away after you had it repaired?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

1) Typically, a little under a week in my experience.

2) You can ask, but it doesn't guarantee anything.

3) Not sure what you mean here, but I think that any repairs are covered for 90 days, if the same thing breaks again ... might be wrong. You should ask.

4) N/A to me.

3. surroundfan macrumors 6502

Further to r.j.s

1) About a week or so

2) Yes, and yes, but there's no guarantee they'll agree

3) It's the longer of the balance of the remaining warranty or a 90 day warranty...

http://images.apple.com/legal/warranty/docs/cpuwarranty.pdf

4) Yes, and it's also merely insanely hot, rather than causing third degree burns if you sit it on your lap...

I've only got c. 6 weeks of warranty left myself, so I've done a few things such as get a new battery and have the flickering display looked at.

At any rate, other than the DVD drive rejecting the odd burnt disk, mine seems to be working just fine at long last. It's only taken a new logic board, a new top case, three power bricks and three batteries to get it right.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

dang i wish i still had AppleCare, my CD MBP pretty much rejects all discs these days, even audio CD's, DVD's etc..

howcome you still have warranty?? mine ran out after a year. I guess you extended it :|. Seems a lot to pay..

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...you got lucky with the leftover apple care, its not going to be back in time to take along but at least you'll get it back fixed...

6. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was just plain lucky.

I bought the MBP for $550 CDN, plus $100 for a new charger.

The seller didn't even mention that it had AppleCare left on it, I just checked to see if it did, and it happened to be there. So I'm really happy :D

I'll also try and see if the Genius will let me trade it for a new Alu MacBook. I have a feeling, they just might. :)

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

i dropped off my MBP on wednesday night for a logic board replacement, and t was at my parents in orange county at 10am saturday!

I am in Portland, OR, and if anyone lives near here, i totally recommend the pioneer plaza apple store! Jordan was the rep that helped me (genius) and he was awesome. Even took data that i needed off of the computer so i could turn it in for a final due the next day!!!

8. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I highly doubt they will let you trade it...

9. patrick92260 macrumors member

Apple replaced my early 07 MBP with a new Aluminum one last week but it had a ton of problems (everything you listed plus a few more) which is the only reason the store would swap it out. It can't hurt to ask though.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I doubt it. I had around 15 parts repaired before they gave me a new one.

Their customer service is supposed to settle problems by giving you as little as possible. They'll fix everything, but they're not going to start offering you free stuff or replacements just because you have trouble with an old laptop. ;)

If I were you, I'd go to DECA without the laptop. I've never heard of Apple giving out loaner laptops, but perhaps they'll do it in US Apple stores. Certainly wouldn't have happened when I was getting my laptop fixed at an Apple reseller (in Australia).

11. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

Yeah, don't take the MBP with you if you get it repaired. I've been to those huge conventions, and someone always ends up getting one of their belongings stolen, even from their room. I wouldn't bring anything that valuable with me on a trip like that, unless you can fit it somewhere on your person.

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...the 10 inch net book size will fit in just about any in-room hotel safe I've ever had to use... wish :apple: would come up with something that size with 1200x800 resolution, good battery life and a full "notebook" processor...

13. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the replies!

I have an appointment booked for this at my local apple store, this evening.

Any tips or advice on how to approach the entire topic of replacing the MBP for a new one?

I know it's not likely, but it's worth a shot right?

How should I go about it with the genius?:confused:

14. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

You don't mention that you want it replaced. If you do, it might make it seem as if you're exaggerating the problems in order to get a replacement. They'll offer to replace it if the costs to replace the parts outway the raw cost of the new machine.

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

while it's still eligible, you might consider buying the applecare warranty extension for this computer since it does seem to have a number of issues

16. kolax macrumors G3

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No loaners.

Replacement is NOT possible. Has to be multiple repairs for same issue.

Backup any data that's important to you.

Change password to something simple.

18. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I'll definitely keep quiet and let the genius decide :p

I'll keep you guys filled in on what happens!

19. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Not necessarily true since it's so old. My guess is they will just replace with a new model.

20. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

So I had my appointment today.

I took it in, and the Genius assessed it and sent it in for repair.

He told me that the Buzz/Hum issue is almost impossible to resolve, and that every board is defective.

He said they'll continue replacing it aprox three times until they finally give me a new one.

Not exactly the news I was hoping for, but I'm still happy that the other issues will be taken care of.

21. sal macrumors 6502

if it's out of warranty, you should look into replacing the dvd drive yourself. costs under $200 to replace. It's not that difficult and there are plenty of guides out there that will teach you how.

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh thats lame, but i guess apple cant go giving away free computers in exchange for older ones without at least trying...can they.

you clearly havent been brought up in australia, the guy said it would cost around $400 for an apple burner.. thats not including installation, but i can do the installation fine myself im a nerd haha... its just the price is a bit high for a poor uni student like me

23. aG1 macrumors member

I just got back from the Apple Store to get my Rev. A MBP checked. The Genius hadn't heard of the humming noise so he is replacing the fan and we'll go from there. I'm also getting the display replaced due to dust. I bought my MBP for $900 and it has AppleCare till May 09. Will the fan make the noise go away?

24. brand macrumors 601

brand

It's kind of hard for anyone that hasn't seen/heard the laptop in person to tell you that don't you think?

25. aG1 macrumors member

Well I'm sure people have had that problem before so I wanted to see if anyone that did has gotten their fan replaced and if that was the solution.