Would Apple fix backlight bleeding on a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by frostrambler, Jul 2, 2008.

1. frostrambler macrumors member

I purchased this penryn MBP in March, and at the time I noticed some backlight bleeding, but I needed to finish my term work and let it go. Its now summer and the backlight bleeding is really annoying me.

The backlight makes the display brighter (really noticeable on the grey Apple boot screen), right in the middle of the display (below the isight) about 2 inches across and 2 inches down. Plus the right upper corner is a bit brighter too. Also the very bottom of the display is slightly brighter than the rest of it. Its not very noticeable while using the mac, but when playing a video or during bootup, you can see it. Its not horrible, but its there and it bugs me. Whats Apples policy on replacing the display? I have Applecare and I can go to the 5th avenue store or Soho store in NYC (plus theres a new one too).

Is this worth talking to an apple genius with, or will they just send me home? I know the only fix is a display replacement, but is Apple willing to do those things often?

edit: I have an older RevA MBP, a Macbook, and a new alum imac, and none of them have this bleeding, plus I have various other LCDs that don't have it. So I know its not just a small thing.

2. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I don't see why not if it's under warranty. Its obviously not a software issue, so they can't really blame you. Just take it in, it can't hurt. That seems like a pretty simple fix, so they can't really screw up either.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I had an issue with the screen on my 17" a few years ago and they just replaced it without a problem. At that time I had to call tech support and have them send me a box. I just called them up and told them the situation and they took care of it. I'm sure that if you went to a genius they would be able to better diagnose your issue and you may get the repair done quicker.

4. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Would apple stop buying these awful screens and selling them to us? That would be the right question. Why doesn't apple buy the screens from sony? That is another right question.

The 2nd screen I had was awful (bleeding): they told me they are going to exchange it. I can't wait watching the 3rd one. The first one was fine, but YELLOWISH. So ask for a repair and cross your fingers: you need to be lucky.

Will it end someday?

thistle