Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
They'd have announced it if they intended it to become public knowledge... I assume they decided it was easier to wait and take a reactionary approach if it came to light than put it out there deliberately.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I think their solution to the problem was really good. But I do think their threshold for instating the CPU clockdown is waaaaaay too short. No battery should trigger this state within at before 2-3 years of use, unless it is replaceable in the warranty periode.

Reactions: varunsanthanam

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I think their solution to the problem was really good. But I do think their threshold for instating the CPU clockdown is waaaaaay too short. No battery should trigger this state within at before 2-3 years of use, unless it is replaceable in the warranty periode.

What about the people who upgraded to a $1000+ phone because they thought their old phone was outdated / slow / broken ?

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
What about the people who upgraded to a $1000+ phone because they thought their old phone was outdated / slow / broken ?

This is really the biggest point.

Apple secretly slowed down phones based on something nobody had any idea about and nobody would suspect (not even the Apple techs).

In the rare event that people with slow devices had bothered to run diagnostics at the Apple store, many of them would pass as "Healthy" while already being throttled.

The whole thing is sleazy. I guess that's what you have to do when people find no real reason to buy new phones.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
When did Apple apologize?

Apple said:
We’ve been hearing feedback from our customers about the way we handle performance for iPhones with older batteries and how we have communicated that process. We know that some of you feel Apple has let you down. We apologize. There’s been a lot of misunderstanding about this issue, so we would like to clarify and let you know about some changes we’re making.

Source: https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No. Because the throttling wasn’t what they did wrong. It was the lack of transparency.

This I agree with. Even if it was listed in their license agreements or elsewhere, it wasn't likely enough for others not to be disgruntled because they feel victimized. I personally don't have an issue with the alleged 'throttling', but you do make a good point making something more apparent.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Why would this appologize for something that they did on purpose, and still say is for the user’s benefit?

Reactions: bobob
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.