Would Apple Just Do a Processor Bump?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mcpix, Jul 19, 2012.

1. mcpix macrumors regular

What if Apple simply bumps the processor on the iMac next week? No USB 3, no Nvidia card, no anti glare screen. After the 9to5mac article and the mystery Geekbench scores I'm not sure what to think.

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

3. sukai macrumors regular

At this point anything is better than nothing. Personally usb 3 is a big thing in my book future proofing the iMac for couple of years.

4. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I can't come up with a reason that they would have waited until all of the 2012 GPUs are released and still just done a CPU jump. If they wanted to do just CPU they could have done that before WWDC.

5. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Future proofing came with Thunderbolt ( add a TB->USB3 ) adapter!

6. dearlaserworks macrumors regular

Except that USB is affordable. The cable alone for TB costs twice as much a USB 3.0 enclosure with cable.

7. Nandifix macrumors 6502

If it was what you call just a CPU Bump then we would also get a GPU bump with USB3. I just hope we can get some sort of ssd options as that would improve performance SO much!

8. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Exactly. Something's up. I hope they've learned their lesson about lame updates with the Mac Pro.

9. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

I couldn't agree more. This will determine whether or not I go for the 2012 iMac (if it ever appears). I don't want to pay the ludicrous amount of money for the BTO SSD option.

10. harcosparky macrumors 68020

For the moment it does.

For my money, I'd buy a TB enclosure before I would by a USB3 enclosure.

I have one notebook here that has USB3, it's useless to me ... totally useless.

It's kinda like that other interface that I never used ..... esata.

11. dearlaserworks macrumors regular

For Time Machine, I'd like USB 3.0, have the drive already. I'm hopeful Apple will add a small, affordable SSD boot option. If they don't, I'm waffling between an external TB enclosure and opening my new iMac to install an SSD boot drive. Yeah, I'm cheap. :)

12. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Whether the new iMac releases or not, we are going to be SURPRISED!! I just hope I won't be disappointed.

13. Imac Sam macrumors 6502

Imac Sam

I wish this adapter would be made. I could use it on my 2011. I have found no place with one yet.