Would Apple let me upgrade in this manner?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blakey., Oct 21, 2011.

1. Blakey. macrumors member

I presently have an iPhone 4. If there are three upgrades on my family's plan, would Apple let me use one of the other upgrades that isn't my line? I know AT&T will so long as I have the last four of the social of the main account holder, but will Apple? I do not live in the same city as my family anymore, so it would be a bit of a hassle to have them there in person in order to do so. I will probably end up going to an AT&T store, but this is mostly in case they are out of stock. Not sure how much stock the AT&T stores here in Orlando have of the white 16GB models.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Generally the advice I've seen on this is to upgrade the line that has the upgrade available, then swap SIMs or go to an AT&T store to have the number switched over to the line where you want it.

Two issues: One, since you're not the primary account holder you may well have problems getting Apple Store to let you do the upgrade (several reports of that, don't know if it's "policy" or not but it's a commonly reported issue).

Two, SIM swapping is difficult since you're not near the person whose upgrade is available.

Perhaps you could have your primary account holder do the upgrade wherever he/she lives, take care of getting the number switched at their local AT&T store, and then ship the phone to you?

3. Blakey. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, not really an option. I'm selling my iPhone 4 and buying the 4S immediately after. Can't really go without a phone for a few days. Worst case scenario I'd just drive to my hometown(about two hours away) and just upgrade it there, but that'd be a pretty big inconvenience.

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

Just have them add your name to the account. You can do it right from their web site. Then you should be able to go to the Apple or AT&T store and purchase a phone.