Would apple patch the JB and still call it 5.0.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TSX, Dec 27, 2011.

1. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Would apple patch the JB and still call it 5.0.1?

They did fix the no sim card error and they didn't change the firmware number.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They could, but they'd want to push it out as a security update with a new version number so people would update.

3. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

good question...

in that case, dont update via itunes!

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

They might, but I think they need to plan way a head of time because they know that once untethered jailbreak coming out. Lot of people will be updating to 5.0.1 so they can take an advantage of this untethered jailbreak. If Apple update their 5.0.1 firmware in their server within the next few days (assume they can plug the hole that fast)without telling us, they will screw us big time.

Also, if you look at 3GS phone, we all assume that 3GS can install Ipad baseband. With the recent 3GS, they change something inside, 3GS manufacturer in 2011, week 35 or above, there is reported that we can install Ipad baseband onto it.

5. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

That would be an incredibly annoying move by Apple by an effective one, I still doubt that they would do that.

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

No. Any patch will include a revision number in the software.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

I admit that would be a new twist to the cat and mouse game. I hope no apple big apple guys see this.

8. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

They could but they would likely be crucified for it. Also they wouldn't be able to push the update to anyone with 5.0.1 already installed.

9. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Its possible, they just did it not to long ago with the "no sim card" error. The 5.0.1 stayed the same but the version number changed.

10. lovish macrumors member

By the time they will do that most of the people would have already installed jb

Love is eternal - Albus dumbledore

11. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Apple has never updated iOS code with a patch and not incremented the version number. Configuration data files yes, but never the code base. Released builds with different build numbers and the same code revision only includes updated configuration information, not code changes.

12. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

There is no need for this. With OTA delta updates, the cat is going to win this game of chase easily

13. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

In that instance, even though the version string was the same they did update the Build Number which I would think is also taken into account when iTunes checks for updates. In theory they could patch it and leave the build and the version the same so that no one would really know the difference short of hashing the file.

14. GeniusJon macrumors regular

Go ahead Apple, I'm already jailbroken and have SHSH blobs saved. Patch away!

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I highly doubt it.
    It would be something like 5.0.2 with a security update and bug fixes.