Would Apple repair this case cracking?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PhazonUK, Aug 10, 2010.

1. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

I have an Mid 2009 MacBook (the last non-unibody one) and have quite a few issues with the casing.
    The first one is pretty bad. LINK
    Unfortunately this one looks like user damage, but that is not the case (but I doubt Apple would believe me). My MacBook is sat on my desk 99% of the time and even when I take it anywhere I am VERY careful with it. I first noticed the crack along the top a while ago when I opened my MacBook but just left it. It was slowly getting worse and then one day I opened the lid and the plastic just fell off.
    The other cracks are definitely not my fault. LINK
    There are about 4 of these cracks along the rear vent as well as on the corners of the vent. These look like cracks within the plastic itself, similar to the ones my white iPhone 3GS suffered, so I'm hoping Apple would accept it as a fault of the product and repair it.
    The final problem is not a crack, but a discolouration of the plastic along the rear vent. LINK
    I don't know where Apple would stand on this one, but it definitely looks like a product fault to me.

So does anyone have any idea whether Apple would fix these issues?

2. Xenophon macrumors regular

I don't think they'll buy the first one either. The others are in places where you'd expect this cracking problem to appear so they'll have seen it before and it shouldn't be an issue.

So this is a mid-2009 macbook? Am I glad I got the aluminium unibody version (which also has its problems but fortunately nothing like this). Can't believe there's still fanboys raving on about fantastic Apple build quality.

3. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I actually think they'll take care of the first one and not the others. When I had a MacBook they replaced the plastic on the inside (palm rest area), but didn't do anything about the discoloration on the backside.

My brother's macbook is out of warranty and I'm taking it in for an HD replacement (hopefully there's something to cover that) - however, it has similar plastic issues. I'll let you know how that goes!

4. gtimark macrumors member

Hello, I -- and many others -- have had similar problems. Here's a link to a recent post addressing this "cracking" issue of the cheaply made plastic cases: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=10734747&posted=1#post10734747

The only way I achieved resolution was by taking in the MacBook to the Apple Store and showing the techs the problem. And even then, they balked at the repair until I pressed the issue. It was then repaired. Although I have Apple Care, I'm not sure that mattered. Good luck with yours.