Would Apple replace this battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Firanide, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Firanide macrumors member

Unfortunately, this is not my first MBP battery problem.

If you don't want to read that thread, basically I have an original 17" MBP(1,2), 1GB RAM, 2.16 GHz C2D, etc. I had some battery problems previously which caused my computer's battery to swell and somehow fry my monitor. I was still within warranty (by a couple weeks), so I got it all replaced.

Now, I'm having battery problems again, with the new battery Apple gave me. They're a little more severe:
    [​IMG]
    (the rest of the pictures are here)

Unfortunately my computer is now 2.5 years old, and since I don't have AppleCare, am I SOL? Unfortunately there aren't any Apple stores here yet (although there are going to be 2 within the next year), but I could probably take it to an authorized retailer. Would they be able to replace it for me though?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you can take that to an Apple Store I would.

3. Firanide thread starter macrumors member

I wish I could, but it's a 3-hour drive to the nearest Apple store, for at least another month.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Authorized retailer works as well but they'd more then likely escalate you to full blown Apple.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you are within 180 days of the last replacement, then you are covered, period. Otherwise, I would call Apple Care, explain the situation and they may offer you a replacement. As there have been a lot of problems with batteries of that vintage, there may be some sort of hidden extended warranty.

TEG

6. Firanide thread starter macrumors member

It's definitely not within 180 days (it's been almost 1.5 years since the replacement). As for Apple Care, don't I have to pay to call them because I didn't buy Apple Care protection?

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

you wouldn't have much luck getting a free replacement at an authorized service center. all they can do is tell you to go to an apple store, because the only way they can order anything is through Apple's GSX.

the only way you can do it is to get a replacement at a service center is to have a CS code, usually given to you by the Apple Care rep on the phone. This is not to be confused with a Case #.

but there is a warranty on parts replaced though, even if the computer itself is out of warranty.

AFAIK, there is no battery replacement program for Macbook Pros.

as far as calling apple outside of applecare, you may get a charge...according to the "courtesy" call that i received from an apple rep trying to get me to buy AppleCare after the first 90 days. :mad: the guy was very pushy and had to tell the guy no more than once.

and batteries are only covered for 1 year.

8. Firanide thread starter macrumors member

I called Apple Care and they're going to send me a box to send my battery in, as well as a new battery. And I'm not getting charged. Big props to the helpful Apple support person.

Hopefully they don't think I'm sending explosives in the mail with this thing though. ;)

9. wesrk macrumors 6502a

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273)

11. wesrk macrumors 6502a

thank you sir, I will be receiving a battery replacement sometime next week.