Would Apple reuse "iBook"?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RedCroissant, Aug 18, 2012.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

Let's say that Apple is in fact considering releasing a mini iPad. Sure they could call it an iPad mini, but I think that if it is the rumored 7" tablet then it would be better suited as an e-reader and they could reuse the iBook moniker. I think that would be cool.

2. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Probably not since they've used it in an app name "iBooks". They'd not want to have any kind of product confusion.

That said, "iBook" would have been a great alternative to "iPad" but then again iPads do so much more than just books.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I too doubt the iBook name would be reused for a 7" iPad
    Who knows, MBPs come in different sizes and are just called 13" and 17"
    They could just go with 7" iPad

I'm still not 100% convinced we will see one this Fall
    Maybe, maybe not

4. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Well, I think it would be a smart move. They already own the trademark(I know they own the iPad one as well) but perhaps with the introduction of a 7" tablet(which I am also not convinced of yet) that a slogan says something like...The new iBook and iBooks, they were designed for each other.

This could also be a way to introduce they next iPad as technically superior and increase the price while releasing a lower spec'd device out there that is purchased by people that do not want or need all of the things that a regular iPad can do.

For example, It might have a camera but wouldn't be able to run apps like iMovie or anything. It would be a media consumption device as opposed to a computer-like device.

5. Skika macrumors 68030

No i doesnt make any sense. Unless it comes with just iBooks preloaded without the app store.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

^^^
    If they gimp a 7" iPad too much the backlash would offset any gains they would see

I don't see them going with purely an eBook reader approach to a 7" iPad

7. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

I don't mean that they should seriously decrease the capabilities, but limit it to the necessary hardware software that it was designed for. Since I think it would be a table that would be geared more toward reading, then make the primary app iBooks. Along with the primary purpose would be the Newsstand app. Continuing with the media consumption theme, I would hope that they would provide the usual apps: Safari, photos, iMessage, app store access for this device and some games as well. I just don't think that it will or should have all of the capabilities as the regular iPad.

8. urkel macrumors 68030

I hope not
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm hoping Apple can get more creative.

9. wharzhee macrumors 6502

can someone enlighten me wtf "moniker" is? i've been seeing this word here and there, but i have no clue what it means

10. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

It's a nickname.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

here you go: link

12. wharzhee, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2012

wharzhee macrumors 6502

thanks
    anyone can figure the search, but i needed contextual meaning.

13. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

14. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Maybe it's just me, but I like those designs and always have. I almost decided to modify an older clamshell iBook but then didn't end up doing it.

I just think that if Apple decided to make a mini tablet that is geared more toward reading and consumption as opposed to creation like with the iPad, then I think iBook is the perfect name for it.

15. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Maybe in 50 years, its too soon to use this name

16. NeoCracer macrumors member

The name 'iPad' is so well known, that they won't change the name for that rumored new device.

They could even just call it iPad too. They don't change the name of the 13" MacBook Pro too.

I also don't think it will be used more as an ereader. iPads are not great ereader devices. Kindle and Nook are much better devices for reading books.