Would Apple store help me change RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gregbcooper31, Nov 26, 2012.

1. gregbcooper31 macrumors newbie

I have a 2009 Aluminium MacBook, and have bought 4GB of RAM from Crucial. I sat down to change it this weekend and couldnt get 6 of the screws undone on my MacBook. Does anyone know if I took it to an Apple Store (UK) would they help me get the back off to change the RAM, or is it out of their remit to do so..?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

3. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Did you strip the screws? FYI, I think you have a late 2008 MacBook. There was only one unibody aluminum MB and it was 2008.

I have a stripped screw on the hard drive bracket. I'm going to the apple store today. I'll let you know what happens.

4. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Ok I just got back from the Apple Store. I was missing a bottom case screw that they replaced without a problem but they wouldn't do the hard drive bracket screw because they don't have extra brackets in stock. They could do it with a drill but then would damage the bracket and I would have a loose HDD.

So my suggestion is that perhaps you don't have the right Phillips to unscrew the screws. Did you strip the screws? Do they move at all?

5. gregbcooper31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response, it is a 2008 one, i call it 09 as i bought it in early 09!

the screwdriver I have gets out 3 of the 7 screws (one is missing!) it may not be the right screwdriver, but it could be that they are in too tight, they havent been touched in the near 4 years I have owned this.

I am currently trying to ring my local apple store (birmingham bullring) to see if they would help me get the stuff off the back to change my RAM. If they charge a small fee then I don't mind paying...

Ok, as typing they answered, they can check out the screws for me, and they can change them for me if they are faulty, however they cannot change the RAM as I bought it from Crucial, and I cannot change the RAM while they change the screws, but they would charge up to £80 to change the RAM for me (I paid £24 for crucial RAM). The guy said to make sure its a 000 or 00 screwdriver first, as that simply may be the problem. I'll pop to Maplin tomorrow and see if I have the right screwdriver...

6. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

As many people have mentioned eyeglasses screwdrivers seem to work well. The one I use was part of a Belkin computer repair kit though.