Would apple switch my Early '08 MBP for a Unibody?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by steamed.hams, May 11, 2009.

1. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

I love my silver key MBP. I bought it refurbed in October '08 for $1456 after tax (US). It's the high end model that was priced at $2499 a week before the unibodies were released.

My friend brought up a point: For whatever reason, if the computer fails and applecare needs to replace it, will they give me another refurbed MBP although they're not available for sale through apple? Or will they give me a comparative unibody model?

Apologies if this question has been posed and answered. I have searched threads prior to posting this.

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

they would give you the new model if they they needed to replace the computer rather than just fix it, if they don't have any of your particular model. Usually they will fix the computer and not replace it, unless you have the require exact same kind of repair on a part at least three times. So, it could happen, but i wouldn't be waiting around hoping for my computer to die three separate times in order to get the new model.

3. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

4. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

apples treats refurbished applecare the same as new.

if it is necessary, apple will replace your macbook with an equivelant notebook which normally means new, but not necessarily. this would normally only happen if the same component failed three times.

but if you cry like a baby and the manager wants to get you out of his store he may cave earlier.

i have the same model, my 8600m gt seems to be going strong. touch wood. still going to get applecare, no doubt!

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yup, they'll repair it.

6. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

they will repair it, then repair it, then repair it again, then when you are about the slap someone at apple then they will replace it.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The official rule is Apple will replace a computer only if either 1) it's been repaired three time w/i the ORIGINAL warranty period or 2) the part needed to fix the machine is no longer available (not likely).

8. steamed.hams thread starter macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

Ahh I see.

I see that my post kinda hints at this, but I actually prefer my Early '08 MBP to the unibodies.