Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EriCKY

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
I looked at my iPad today and it somehow has a dent in its top left corner. I don't know how it happened I greased my iPad 1 and now my iPad 2 very very gently. Would I be able to bring it to the apple store with a complaint of backlight bleeding?

I'm a little OCD to how my gadgets appear and have no idea how this dent even happened :/

UCF Sam

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Physical damage... I highly doubt it. You'd be better off trying to get it exchanged under warranty by complaining about something else, IE backlight bleeding or stuck/dead pixels.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
I don't know how it happened I greased my iPad 1 and now my iPad 2 very very gently.
You probably shouldn't have greased it. That probably made it really slippery and you dropped it without even knowing it. ;)

EriCKY

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Physical damage... I highly doubt it. You'd be better off trying to get it exchanged under warranty by complaining about something else, IE backlight bleeding or stuck/dead pixels.

Yeah that's what I'm planning to do if I choose to actually go to a store to get it replaced.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
That is a bit more than just a minor dent. Looks like it was dropped. In my experience as well as many others here, once physical damage occurs (especially if it is visible on the out case) it is almost impossible to get it replaced under warranty for whatever reason. Basically you have given apple an escape goat. If your iPad stops working , it was caused by the drop, if the touch screen stops, it was caused by the drop, if you have backlight bleed, it was caused by the drop. No matter what it is, it was caused by the drop.

I hate to say it, and not saying it is right. But, it is the track record of many of us here.:(

iLuis

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
That's why I Used to cover on my devices They Can Fall. : (

AppleCare is smart so if They Do not see nothing on the screen They going to say NO! i do not see nothing bad on your iPad 2 ...

You Just Need to say I'm getting Some Problems with my device like:
- My iPad 2 never sync with my pc / mac.
- The screen is kinda blurry and when to is turn black i see Some yellow lights.

When They see the broken side ... Be like :eek: i never drop it.
And they going to change your iPad 2 for another if they have stock. :)
Just swipe your iPad 2 like new.

Good luck.
And put an cover the next time. Keep safe your iPad 2 Not matter what. : mad:

triplecore1

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
I would try a dead pixel. Not sure if their is a way to make a pixel dead occur but they replaced mine because of that. Also maybe wiggle the headphone jack so it doesn't work. That happens on my iPod (happend honestly though) because I run with it at the gym and they replaced it after 7 months of owning it. Then again I didn't have a large dent more like a use scratches.

Lastly, the charger port when I had verizon my motorola phones charger port would always get loose after 3 or 4 months and Verizon kept replacing the phone. On the 3rd time they said this is a common issue with Motorola phones and offered me a free upgrade. So I guess you can be rough on the charger port.

But don't forget apple could say NO. Then you will be stuck with a dead pixel screen, damaged headphone jack, and broken charger port. Have you tried Square Trade or Assurion. I know they insure phones, maybe they also do iPads and other electronics. Good luck

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I looked at my iPad today and it somehow has a dent in its top left corner. I don't know how it happened I greased my iPad 1 and now my iPad 2 very very gently. Would I be able to bring it to the apple store with a complaint of backlight bleeding?

I'm a little OCD to how my gadgets appear and have no idea how this dent even happened :/

Minor? I'de have a heart attack if I had a gash like that in mine.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010

How can you call that a "minor" dent?

It is big enough to likely know when you did it!:mad:

You either knew when you bashed it into something or someone else who, had access, did it for you. Either way you need to man up and take responcibility for your own problems.

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
That is a bit more than just a minor dent. Looks like it was dropped. In my experience as well as many others here, once physical damage occurs (especially if it is visible on the out case) it is almost impossible to get it replaced under warranty for whatever reason. Basically you have given apple an escape goat. If your iPad stops working , it was caused by the drop, if the touch screen stops, it was caused by the drop, if you have backlight bleed, it was caused by the drop. No matter what it is, it was caused by the drop.

I hate to say it, and not saying it is right. But, it is the track record of many of us here.:(

Not in my experience. My Macbook Pro feel out of my bag and had a dent in the corner. I took it to the Apple store. They said accidental damages weren't covered via warranty. BUT a week or so later my laptop's power supply fried.

Apple replaced it. No question asked. Matter of fact they even let me return it and upgrade to the high end. I actually ended up saving some cash.

flurffmeister

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
I would suggest you take it in for a check-up and be frank and honest. You don't know how it happened? Just say so, and that you are wondering if this will cause a problem in the future. Who knows? You may get someone at the genius bar who is sympathetic to the disappointment in dinging such a brand new gadget.

In my experience, when I related the story of me dropping my iPhone 4 fresh out of the store on launch day and dinging the antenna a bit (not nearly as bad as the one I have now), the guy at the bar told me if I had walked back in, they'd have exchanged it no questions asked. Maybe this becomes less likely the later it is after launch, but what are they gonna do, take your iPad away from you when you show it to them?

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Sorry it happened but pretty clear that is going to be noticed by an Apple employee and they will state it was dropped by the owner. Won't be covered by AppleCare, clearly user damage. If not by you someone that was using it. That type of damage doesn't just "happen", it was hit or dropped as it does look to be more than a small dent.

tucker3434

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Let me see if im understanding this correctly. You dropped your iPad and dented it and now you'd like to know if apple will swap it for you because you don't like the dent?

t0mm

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Nottingham, UK
my original iPad got dented near the volume buttons, the apple case did it.

I took it 80 miles to the nearest apple store (to show them and explain incase they said no on the phone) to be told i'd done it deliberately and I was lying. (in a not so obvious way but thats what they said) and they happily offered to replace it for around £300.

I wasn't happy, stayed in the mall, called apple cares line and put a complaint in, they put me in contact with a manager immediately who apologised and said that i could wait until the end of the day (regardless of the iPad condition) and go back to the store and have it replaced there (he'd notify them) or i could get it shipped to them and them replace it.

Seeing as my train ticket wasn't flexi, i opted for the last choice, it was replaced within 3 days.

Obviously you can't claim that, but just saying cosmetic damage can be replaced..

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2010
I do not know how you are an OCD if you find that dent minor :) That is almost severe. I highly doubt they would replace it. It is not related to warranty issue. Now, you could have a technical issue and if they cannot fix it, they would replace it but not for that dent.

I am also anal with stuff like that but trying to care less about stupid things like this in general. I can find few wrong things with my brand new iPad2 but I am not even looking closely because I know it may stress me out :) I try to let it go. However, if I had a dent like that it would bother me but not as much as it used to.

Get a cover, you won't even see it.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
minor dent? ... I have seen Cars written off for less.

Also I doubt Apple will do anything as it seems obvious that it is user damaged.

as long as it still works, just forget about it

moral of the story here ... do not grease your electronics

Last edited:

rawlus

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
Boston
Who the hell greases their ipad?

I'm not usually one to judge but taking back stuff that you damaged yourself and making up stories to try and get a free replacement shows a lack of character and a moral deficiency.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core

Sorry, buddy, nice try, but no go.....

You or whoever the klutz is who dropped/manhandled your shiny new iPad is going to have to suffer the consequences.

Too bad, too sad......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.