Price Advice Would appreciate some advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ange., Jun 28, 2014.

1. ange. macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm relatively tech unsavvy, but have signed up for a digital arts & new media course. It's a 2 year program, and will be covering a lot of subjects. My prof told me I need a macbook pro.

I've been searching, and came across this used one.. What are your thoughts on this? I'd like to it last me a good long time.. I'm pretty frugal by nature, and have a small child - can't afford to buy another one a short way down the road. Thank you!

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-laptops/kelowna/immaculate-condition-15-macbook-pro/577776207

2. JAT macrumors 603

3. ange. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link & reply.

I'm also attracted to the other as it has double the RAM, the apple care, and no tax.The one in the link costs $1790 with the taxes. My main concern - is it alright to buy a machine that's a few years old, and expect it to last another 4 or more? Is it wise to buy such a good one.. or should i just buy the base 13" screen and less RAM as I'm a student?

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I bought my MBP used 2 years ago. I expect it to last me 3 to 4 more years. I did do a few upgrades - more memory and a SSD.

If you're careful with it you can expect it to last. With a small child your main concern should be liquid spills. Never put it anywhere the kid can dump liquids on it. Otherwise it will happen.

5. Cubytus macrumors 65816

As a rule of thumb, buy the machine with the idea it should last for the time of your program +1 year. Even if money's not a problem, it is always stressful to switch computers during your curriculum, so keep a good backup at all times.

If the machine you're buying is already struggling to keep pace with your normal workload, you'll run into trouble pretty soon. And why +1year? Finding a job immediately on graduation is rather rare, so you will be likely to keep this machine for a while before your financial situation improves.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

If you're a student it's worth considering buying a new Mac through the higher-education store. In the UK at least, if you're a student you save 15% on a new Mac and get free 3-year hardware warranty. May well be a similar deal in the US.