Would appreicate your ecommendations for books about Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by wrosie, Dec 28, 2012.

1. wrosie macrumors member

I'm going to order a 27" iMac (loaded) in a few weeks. I'm coming back to Mac after a 15 year hiatus (that's a polite word) with a series of PCs. My last experience with the Mac OS was 8.x, I believe. I'm excited about the new computer, and have no experience at all with OS X. So I thought it might be nice to spend the next few weeks pre-iMac-arrival with some good books about the OS. Here's what looked most relevant to me on amazon.com...would appreciate comments and guidance from those of you with more knowledge/experience than I:

*OS X Mountain Lion all in One for Dummies (Mark Chambers)
    *Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual Mountain Lion Edition (David Pogue)
    *OS X Mountain Lion: The Missing Manual Mountain Lion Edition (David Pogue)
    *OS X Mountain Lion Pocket Guide (Chris Seibold)

Any words of wisdom for me about what to read before the "new baby" arrives? Thanks in advance.

2. sgharp macrumors newbie

I'm new to Mac coming from Linux and Windows. I'm currently reading the Kindle edition of the "Mac OS X Lion Bible" available on Amazon. It's based on a pre-release so there are some errors but it has very good coverage and i'm learning a lot. So far, the few errors I've come across haven't been a serious issue.

3. Jon-PDX macrumors regular

I'm still a new Mac user after using PC's since before Windows. I've thought about buying a book but so far I've been able to find most of what I needed to get up to speed on the Internet.

Besides this forum, I've found these articles to be helpful.

MAC 101 Getting started with your Mac
    http://www.macworld.com/column/mac-101/

The newest articles are at the top of each page so you might want to start on page 2 and work your way back.

They also have ebooks (including .pdf format) available through their web site and also through iTunes.

http://www.macworld.com/premiumcontent/superguide/iphone5.html

Jon...

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I bought
    *Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual Lion Edition (David Pogue)
    *OS X Lion: The Missing Manual Lion Edition (David Pogue)

18 months ago when I started learning Mac for work. To be honest, I've hardly had a need to crack them open. Those are both O'Reilly books, generally regarded as some of the best "how-to" or "how does it work" books in the tech world.

Yes, I modified the names to reflect the books I actually have. I may pick up the ML versions on my own dime (well, maybe not the "switching" one as I've already made the switch).

5. wrosie thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input and suggestions...I appreciate your taking the time to respond.